Need Fast Help! Buttercream That Isn't Too Sweet/can Sit Out

Decorating By Bellatheball Updated 28 Mar 2008 , 1:05pm by Bellatheball

Bellatheball Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 6

I tried a few recipes this week for buttercream. I want to make a yellow cake with buttercream frosting for my daughter's birthday tomorrow. I had thought about doing a lighter buttercream and mixing in some strawberry preserves. The trouble is that every recipe I've tried is too sweet. Any suggestions?

5 replies
JanH Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 12:06am
post #2 of 6

Here are a some popular Crisco based recipes that aren't supposed to be too sweet:

indydebi's b/c:

I really like this soft (minimally crusting) b/c:

Adding jam, or preserves to b/c didn't work too well for me. By the time the flavor of the fruit was evident - the b/c was too sweet and thin.

Flavoring the b/c with extract (and McCormack makes a strawberry) should work much better (and no added sugar).

jlo6024 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 12:46am
post #3 of 6

I LOVE sugarshack's buttercream. Not too sweet and not greasy!

mom42ws Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 12:49am
post #4 of 6

i like the buttercream dream and using vanilla and butter flavoring and i find that it's kinda salty. that's the flavor i get first but it balances out the sweet. when it asks for milk, use non-dairy creamer like from sugarshack's

butterflywings Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:31am
post #5 of 6

indydebi's has my vote. however, i really don't understand this "not to sweet" icing thing. its all made of sugar... it is supposed to be sweet. icon_confused.gif

Bellatheball Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:05pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone! The strawberry extract tip is an excellent one. I didn't realize such a thing existed.

As for frosting being too sweet....LOL! I agree with you 100%. Unfortunately, my husband's family doesn't. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%