Should I Give Some Money Back?

Decorating By crazycakes2007 Updated 28 Mar 2008 , 6:34pm by crazycakes2007

crazycakes2007 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 6

A co-worker who I donât know well asked me to make a lemon cake âfor an evening scrub tech (operating room assistant)â. I told her it was $37 and she said okay. I made a lemon cake with lemon cream cheese mousse, lemon meringue bc and lemon curd on top and brought it to work at 10:00 a.m. I called to tell her it was here, and she seemed irritated. When I saw her, she said, âtoo bad no one is going to enjoy your cakeâ. I said, âWhat? How come?â She said the cake was for a 7:30 a.m. meeting and all the scrub techs had gone home. I said I was so sorry, I assumed it was for the evening since it was an evening shift worker. She said, âdonât worry about it.â I did say she should mention the time if it was so early, and she said, âdonât worry about it.â. I apologized again.

She gave me $40, so I said I would give her change, and she said, (of course!) âdonât worry, itâs a tip,â all the while acting very annoyed. She left the cake in the nurseâs lounge and told everyone to have a piece.

It just felt kind of lousy. To top it off, the $40 fell out of my pocket and I spent 45 min looking for it, but never found it. ï Should I give her some money back? I was my fault to not ask a specific time⦠live and learn.

5 replies
AJsGirl Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 12:47am
post #2 of 6

I disagree that it was your fault. She should have specified what time she needed it. I don't think you should give her any money back. She acted very immaturely.

Brush that dirt off your shoulder and move on... icon_cool.gif

Cakepro Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 12:49am
post #3 of 6

Personally, I would feel really badly too but the only thing you did wrong was not ask what time she wanted the cake. And she did wrong by not telling you, especially since who would have thought the cake would be needed at 7 in the morning? LOL

I would just go on and chalk it up to a painful learning experience. And be sure to be really pleasant to her whenever you next see her...not apologetic, but just sweet.

So sorry for your experience! The cake sure sounds yummy.

Sherri

JanH Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 12:52am
post #4 of 6

Well, I don't think you're entirely to blame....

If your co-worker wanted it for a different time schedule (than she normally worked) she should have made that known to you. (How were you supposed to know she had a meeting? If mind-reading services are included in your prices; you're not charging enough.)

You produced a lovely cake which she accepted; what she did with it after that was her choice.

And the kicker of it is that you didn't have the $40.00 to show at the end of the day. icon_sad.gif

You could offer her a % off on her next cake order, but I wouldn't offer a refund.

This seems to be a "live and learn" experience; so next time you'll confirm the delivery time. (And if it's before your regularly scheduled shift, you might want to tack on a small early delivery fee. After all, time is money and 2-1/2 hrs. early is a lot of time to kill.)

JMHO

crazycakes2007 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone for the great advice! Be sweet, not apologetic, no money back, get the specific delivery time, move on... Got it! Sorry for my slow response, I haven't been able to get onto CC or the forum... (not sure if it's my computer or CC?) Thanks again, I appreciate it! Cheryl

crazycakes2007 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone for the great advice! Be sweet, not apologetic, no money back, get the specific delivery time, move on... Got it! Sorry for my slow response, I haven't been able to get onto CC or the forum... (not sure if it's my computer or CC?) Thanks again, I appreciate it! Cheryl

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%