Hershey's Chocolate Cake Recipe - Doubling???

Baking By Steffen74 Updated 30 Mar 2008 , 3:34pm by Steffen74

Steffen74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steffen74 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 11:22pm
post #1 of 5

I love the Hershey's choc cake recipe on the back of the cocoa can. It always come out moist and delicious and perfectly baked for an 8 or 9" cake.

However...when I double the recipe it comes out like fudge brownies. Not sure it bakes all the way? I'm not a chemist, so don't know if I just double everything as the recipe says, or if I have to do something differently? In the past couple weeks I've made two 12 inchers and they came out the same...waaaay too moist.

Any ideas???

4 replies
MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 5

Are you baking the larger cakes a little bit longer? I've doubled the recipe to make an 11x15 (plus a few cupcakes) and it comes out great. I do bake it longer than the 9" layers

Steffen74 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 5

Yes, I bake them forever it seem! Like an hour or more...

It's so strange!

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 5

What size pan/s are you using? Try the upside down flower nail trick to help the cake bake more evenly in the center. I've doubled this recipe and made 12" rounds with no trouble, but I believe I set my oven @ 325F and bake until a toothpick comes out clean (not sure how long that is).

Steffen74 Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 5

I was using a 10" this past weekend. I do bake at 325 as well. I'll try the flower nail...glad to know that the recipe works for some people - I'll keep trying! Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%