Ok, Change Of Plans!

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 30 Mar 2008 , 4:00pm by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

TheCakerator Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 11

So I have been asking lots of questions about cake sizes, servings, etc., and I had it all figured out. Then the bride calls me and asks me to change things up a bit. Now they want a round, square, round cake to feed roughly 175-200 people, and they would like the grooms cake to feed 100-125 people. They are really wanting something along the lines of a Baseball Jersey for a team they are fans of. I have it figured out that a 16in round cake, with a 10in square cake on top of that, with a 6in round cake on top of that would give me 162 wilton size servings. I just need to know how many servings I should roughly get if I use a double layer 12x18 sheet cake and carve a jersey out of that? Would I get close to 100-125 servings? Or is there a better way to do this? Please help, I am open to ANY options on EITHER cake!!

10 replies
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 11

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I did want to wish you a Happy Birthday! I'm sure you'll get an answer from someone else really soon though. icon_smile.gif

2508s42 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 11

I think so. I have a Broncos jersey in my pics that I used that size for. I didn't use two layers though and they got about 60 party size servings out of it. (so they were a little larger than wedding servings)

I didn't use two layers because unless a jersey has a body in it, it is pretty flat. icon_smile.gif Maybe you could make a hat to go with it or a glove and a ball? (as a surprise?)

lu9129 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 11

A one layer 3 inch x 12 x 18 will serve 108 people according to Wilton. So 2 later would serve 216.
Then you need to consider how heavy the cake will be.
That is a big cake!!!

joaaaann Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 11:59pm
post #5 of 11

Well, just thinking...When I worked at a grocery bakery some years ago, the '1/4 sheet cake' served 16-20...and the 'full sheet'( same as 1/4 sheet x4... served up to 80) I'd prob do a 'full size' 'split' sheet 'jersey' then maybe an addt'l round as a lg baseball with team logo, or a pennacle shaped out of a 1/4 sheet with logo. Or a double layer full sheet jersey alone. Image

TheCakerator Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 12:02am
post #6 of 11

thanks sugarplum!

2508, I was thinking two layer only to get enough servings ..

LU, I thought that serving amount was based on a 2in cake? Maybe I am wrong . Plus, they would not get the full sheet cake as I would have to carve some away for the sleeves and neck area ... I know it's going to be heavy, but I need to be able to make up around 75-100 pieces of cake ... I see I misquoted myself in the first post .. they need 275 pieces total, and would like the wedding cake to feed 175-200 which leaves the grooms cake making up the last 75-100 pieces ...

TheCakerator Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 12:46am
post #7 of 11

Ok .. so let me know how this sounds

16in round, 10in square, and 6in round to serve 162 people

double layer 12x18 sheet cake, additional double layer 9x13 to cut into sleeves .. this cake should feed around 120

this will give a little more then the 275 she is wanting cake servings for, but she will just have to deal with extra cake leftover ....

opinions on this? Thanks!

TheCakerator Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 2:07pm
post #8 of 11

anyone? Thanks!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 4:39pm
post #9 of 11

Okay, you just prompted me to pull out my 12"x18" Wilton pan and I was lucky enough to actually find the information sheet with it. icon_surprised.gificon_biggrin.gif

According to this a 2 layer cake will yield 108 servings. Just remember when you cut for the jersey, you'll loose a little unless you also bake an extra little cake and add on for the sleeves.

HTH icon_smile.gif

TheCakerator Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 10:34pm
post #10 of 11

thanks sugar plum! I do plan on making extra cake for the sleeves, so that should make up any loss amount of cake. I hope she is willing to pay the price for such a big cake!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 4:00pm
post #11 of 11
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

thanks sugar plum! I do plan on making extra cake for the sleeves, so that should make up any loss amount of cake. I hope she is willing to pay the price for such a big cake!

You're welcome! Well if she wants a big cake she better be able to afford a big cake! icon_lol.gif Just read this on another thread. Anyway, I'm sure it'll all work out fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%