How Long Will Cake Stay "fresh"?

Decorating By stsapph Updated 28 Mar 2008 , 11:15am by stsapph

stsapph Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 6

So I was asked to bring a cake for a family fish fry this Saturday. When I agreed to do it, I was not able to actually attend and would not have a day off so I was planning the decorating in advance and would be delivering on Friday. Now, I have switched my shift so will be attending, so I will be able to bring the cake with me. However, because of the initial planning, I have already baked and crumb coated the cake. I was not planning on covering in fondant, and I have heard bad things about putting cakes in the fridge. So I was wondering if this cake will be ok, are there ways to keep it fresh, or if I should take it to work and make another one? I guess I got a little ahead of myself and was just wondering if I'm still ok? TIA

Amber

5 replies
grama_j Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 6

Do you have enough room in your freezer?

indydebi Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 6

I'm a mix baker. I baked my daughter's baby shower cake on Thursday for a Saturday shower. I brought a couple of slices home and put them in the frig (saran'd). Ate them the following Wed.....7 days old. It tasted as great as Day One.

smoore Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 5:25pm
post #4 of 6

I'd try to wrap it really good (several times), freeze it and decorate like Friday or Saturday before attending.

Malakin Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 6

I usually bake my cake, crumb coat it, freeze for about 1/2 hour, wrap tight in plastic wrap, freeze till ready to use and it is just as good as the day I make it. I let it come to room temp before frosting with anything though secondary to condensation.

stsapph Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 11:15am
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone. Into the freezer it goes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%