How Long Will Cake Stay "fresh"?

Decorating By stsapph Updated 28 Mar 2008 , 11:15am by stsapph

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 6

So I was asked to bring a cake for a family fish fry this Saturday. When I agreed to do it, I was not able to actually attend and would not have a day off so I was planning the decorating in advance and would be delivering on Friday. Now, I have switched my shift so will be attending, so I will be able to bring the cake with me. However, because of the initial planning, I have already baked and crumb coated the cake. I was not planning on covering in fondant, and I have heard bad things about putting cakes in the fridge. So I was wondering if this cake will be ok, are there ways to keep it fresh, or if I should take it to work and make another one? I guess I got a little ahead of myself and was just wondering if I'm still ok? TIA

Amber

5 replies
grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 6

Do you have enough room in your freezer?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 6

I'm a mix baker. I baked my daughter's baby shower cake on Thursday for a Saturday shower. I brought a couple of slices home and put them in the frig (saran'd). Ate them the following Wed.....7 days old. It tasted as great as Day One.

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 5:25pm
post #4 of 6

I'd try to wrap it really good (several times), freeze it and decorate like Friday or Saturday before attending.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 6

I usually bake my cake, crumb coat it, freeze for about 1/2 hour, wrap tight in plastic wrap, freeze till ready to use and it is just as good as the day I make it. I let it come to room temp before frosting with anything though secondary to condensation.

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 11:15am
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone. Into the freezer it goes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%