A Bad Paula Dean Recipe??

Decorating By sunlover00 Updated 2 May 2008 , 3:46am by Emmerdoo

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 15

I made a recipe from PD's website called "The Bag Lady's Chocolate Pound Cake".

It came out very light and dry and crummy! It's terrible! The batter was so nice and creamy and perfect.....something happened during the baking process!

I need to do a teapot cake and wanted a nice yummy firm cake. Should I try a cream cheese poundcake recipe instead? It doesn't have to be chocolate....
I also have a cake mix cream cheese pound cake recipe from the Cake Doctor. Anyone tried that one?

Need to rebake tonight....cake due Sat.
Any help for me out there?? What's the best recipe??

14 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 10:53am
post #2 of 15

I couldn't help you with the chocolate pound cake recipe...but even tho I LOVE PD I had a yucky experience with her momma's pound cake recipe... it came out VERY dry.... I am also not a big pound cake fan or baker so that might of been a problem...

I hope you found your answer!!!

mbh724 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbh724 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 15

I made her coconut cake and it was a complete disaster - just sunk in the middle. What a disappointment.

wgoat5 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:59am
post #4 of 15

Now that's one I had wonderful results with.. but some of her other recipes I find are missing something..

I was talking to a friend who frequents her restaurant (when she can get in) and said she has tried some of the recipes in her book that she serves there. And says that more so then not the recipes are different in someway and don't taste the same.

I wonder if she does this on purpose?

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:13am
post #5 of 15

Her cream cheese pound cake was good it makes a lot of batter so be careful when you fill your pans with this recipe.

Molly2

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 15

I have a friend who quit buying Paula Deen cookbooks when she heard Paula admit on some talk show, maybe Oprah, that she doesn't always try all of the recipes that are in her cookbook. icon_surprised.gif

Apparently, in some of the early cookbooks, there were recipes that were not originally Paula's. Maybe this was one of those recipes that was not tested by Paula.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:41am
post #7 of 15

even though I'm a fan of Paula, I have not liked any of the recipes I've made of her's (or Ina's) I think Paula's recipes are too sweet and buttery and I love my butter and sugar.

wgoat5 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:45am
post #8 of 15

The one thing I have made of hers that has been a big hit was the spaghetti sauce in her book AND the bbq meatloaf icon_smile.gif

I did have success with her coconut cake.. but none of her pound cakes icon_sad.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:52am
post #9 of 15

I made the meatloaf & potatoes from her Elvis show & they turned out delicious~ I make the Elvis meatloaf alot. It's a huge hit with my son & DH. I also have made Bobby's Bday Caramel Cake. Oh my gosh it is sinful!!!!! Soooo good!!! Guess I better be careful on her recipes.

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:53am
post #10 of 15

My very favorite Paula recipe is for her grandmother's red velvet cake. It's more than delicious.Pat

chinadoll652003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinadoll652003 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 3:03am
post #11 of 15

I've not made any of her cake recipes but have made several of her dishes and they've all been great!

I did make her lace trumpet cookies and they were to die for!!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 3:07am
post #12 of 15

I'll try the RV cake the next time I need to make one.

But the only recipe of hers that I've liked so far is the pork roast rub. You rub the roast with full-flavor soy sauce, then massage her house seasoning into it, then roast it at 325 degrees until it is done to 160 degrees inside.

House Seasoning:

1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder (I use 1/2 cup garlic powder)

Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 3:16am
post #13 of 15

I use her house ingredients on everything I make..

YUMMY

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 9:56am
post #14 of 15

One that I've had success with was in her magazine last year. The choc cake with the cheese cake center and amaretto flavor. I wind up doubling the cheesecake center and making it 5 layers. Anyway, I use this cake a lot for basket cakes and everyone always loves it.
But like a few of you I've also run into some problems from the first cookbook and a few things in the magazines (same thing with Ina's). But Paula reminds me a bit of my Aunt Louise from AL, she will give a recipe out but it's always missing "something" and it never turns out like it did for her.

Emmerdoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmerdoo Posted 2 May 2008 , 3:46am
post #15 of 15

Honey,

We Alabama women have learned several things a long time ago, let me impart some of my southern belle knowledge:

1. Wal-Mart is like church - you don't act a fool in church and you don't act a fool in Wal-Mart

2. The bigger your hair, the smaller your butt

3. If duct can't fix it, lift it, repair it (including the ta-ta's) then it can't be fixed

4. Hairspray is not only a musical, it is a miracle. It can help you light a fire, it can help repel bugs and those men with Roman hands and Russian fingers and it can make you beautiful while doing it

5. Anything you say is acceptable as long as you put "honey", "darlin'", "baby", or "sugar" with it.

FINALLY!!!!

6. DON'T EVER give out your complete recipe. Leave 'em wanting more, that way, not only does your southern charm and beauty win out, but you still have your secret. There is nothing pretty about a girl that gives too much away, honey!

icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

Happy Caking Ya'll

Em

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%