Painting White Fondant?????

Decorating By Melody25 Updated 29 Mar 2008 , 4:46pm by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Melody25 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 12:37pm
post #1 of 13

I'm working on a High School Musical cake for my 3 nieces,Im planning on frosting with BC and adding MMF accents. What do I use to "paint" white fondant black? I only need a small piece and don't want to actually make black fondant (my hands are already stained pink from the red I made last night... LOL) Any suggestions would be helpful!

12 replies
pastrylady Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 13

You can paint fondant using food coloring thinned with a little vodka or lemon extract.

Melody25 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 13

would clear vanilla work? Or Tequila icon_wink.gif ? Cause i dont have Vodka in the house, and Im all out of Lemon extract. Thanks

pastrylady Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 13

Anything high in alcohol will work. The liquid thins the color so you can paint with it. If you use a water based liquid it will take forever to dry. The alcohol dries quickly. Tequila might leave a flavor. Vanilla would be a better option.

kello Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 12:51pm
post #5 of 13

I was wanting to know too how to paint on fondant. What kind of brush do you use? I have a large area to cover. Is the color sheer? Does it help to do several coats?

Cakechick123 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:37pm
post #6 of 13
Originally Posted by kello

I was wanting to know too how to paint on fondant. What kind of brush do you use? I have a large area to cover. Is the color sheer? Does it help to do several coats?

its very easy to paint fondant. If you use a large soft brush and keep the stokes even it looks amazing. The sunflwer cake is painted with yellow and orange. I did two coats.

kakeladi Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 2:42pm
post #7 of 13

kello said: wanting to know too how to paint on fondant. What kind of brush do you use? I have a large area to cover. Is the color sheer? Does it help to do several coats?

Large areas are best covered w/an airbrush or Wilton's spray/mist.
Painting can leave streaksicon_sad.gif Multiple coats can help w/that but don't be disappointed if it is not a nice, even color.
Art brushes - the softer the bristles the better. For lg areas use wide bristles; for small areas more narrow and for things like strings or words use a pinpoint bristle. HTH

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 2:56pm
post #8 of 13

I realize you said you didn't want to have to make black fondant, but if you only need a little then it might not be too bad to just use that amount of white and make it black instead of just 'painting' it.

Many here have had success by making the fondant chocolate using cocoa powder - as dark as possible and from that it's a fairly easy jump to black. I'm not sure if you can add the chocolate at this point; maybe someone else can answer that, but if you can, that might be an option for you.

Don't know if this helps or not, but thought I'd throw it out there.

sicookie Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 3:02pm
post #9 of 13

This is a little off topic, but I understand how you are suggesting painting the fondant, could you paint royal icing in the same manner, or would the moisture from the "paint" cause the royal to bleed?

karennayak Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 3:09pm
post #10 of 13

I've painted two fondant covered cakes.

One is a Religious Icon, and the second is a lampshade.

These are a few things I learned.1. Make the fondant plaque early and let it dry well.

2. The fondant should be as smooth as possible. I put some cornflour on my palms and smoothed it till it shone. Yet, there were a few small cracks, which caused the paint to bleed.(Upper left hand corner)

3. I added Tylose to the fondant and it hardened really well.

4. I painted using vodka as the medium. However, I expected that when I was painting in layers of colours, the base colours would not mix, but they did. Once I figured out what was happening I just added strokes of colour in the areas that I wanted darker, then dipped a clean brush in vodka and just blended the colours in.

5. I free-handed the drawing with a "0" paint-brush with deep-yellow colour. But I had to be careful not to add too much, as it would leave blobs of messy paint.

6. I carelessly dropped a big drop of water on the plaque after it was completed and I was putting it away. I did not notice until the next day , by which time the water had melted the fondant and left a rough messy patch on it. I did try to cover it up, but the texture was rough.

7. Surprisingly, when I forgot to keep the tops of the mountains white, i was able to lift away the base gold colour with a brush with vodka and a piece of tissue.

That's about it.

Hope that helps some.

Petit-four Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 3:14pm
post #11 of 13

One idea on black MMF: you can knead it in a small plastic baggie to avoid hand coloring (or wear disposable gloves). Also, as Sugar Plum Fairy mentioned, you can knead in a paste of cocoa powder and a little vegetable shortening even after it is made to darken it as well. It has a much better taste this way.

For painting: look for an extract high in alcohol content. Inexpensive grocery-store brands or McCormick clear vanilla dry pretty fast. Hope this helps.

kello Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 5:03pm
post #12 of 13

That helps a lot, thanks! Gotta get to it now!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 4:46pm
post #13 of 13

Don't forget to post a photo! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%