Sugar Cookies Help

Baking By divinecake Updated 30 Mar 2008 , 3:11pm by kwdonlon

divinecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecake Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 12:28pm
post #1 of 8

I was wondering if anybody nows how long NFSC (decorated with royal icing) would last, and still taste fresh, if they are kept in a cellophane bag.
Also, has anybody out there aver added flavour (vanilla) to the royal icing. Would it work?? Thank you so much icon_smile.gif

7 replies
Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 12:40pm
post #2 of 8

I've had cookies last a few weeks. I think it depends how they're stored. Are the bags tied airtight? I keep mine in a Tupperware container. If you want to make them ahead you can freeze unbaked. Or you can freeze after baking. I prefer to freeze unbaked that way they are freshly baked. Does that make sense?

Flavoring RI is a must! I add the flavoring at the end of the beating time. Vanilla + lemon or orange and a tiny bit of almond. thumbs_up.gif

divinecake Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 1:01pm
post #3 of 8

thanks for your reply!

I have an order for next Saturday and it's going to be a crazy week, so I wanted to have them done on Monday.

When you add the flavour to the RI, do you decrease the amount of water?

thanks again!!!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 8

I made some samples for my sister to give to a client of her's and she ended up keeping them for herself! LOL! They were in a cello bag, but I had only used a small label to close the bag, not tied them shut. Anyway, she munched on those puppies for about 12 weeks she said. She thought they tasted fine. I wouldn't eat them past a week, but I'm funny about food and don't like to eat leftovers in general.

kwdonlon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwdonlon Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 8

NFSC seem to last forever. icon_smile.gif I've kept them for up to 4 weeks without a change in texture/flavor. As an FYI - I add additional vanilla and almond extract to the dough as well as flavoring the RI. I don't change the water ratio in the RI or the NFSC. If you're planning on using white RI, I recommend using clear vanilla.

Kim

divinecake Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 4:24pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks everybody!!!

joeskitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joeskitty Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 8

I'm making the NFSC for the 1st time how much extra flavoring do you add in to the dough itself and the RI? Thanks for the help.

kwdonlon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwdonlon Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 3:11pm
post #8 of 8

I use 2 1/2 Tablespoons vanilla, 1 - 2 teaspoons of almond for the NFSC. That's more in line with the flavorings that the Penny's Cookie recipe uses, which is the recipe I used before I started using NFSC.

I add 2 teaspoons of vanilla or almond to Antonia74's RI recipe.

Any flavorings can be used, though.

HTH
Kim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%