Red

Decorating By wendydou Updated 28 Mar 2008 , 3:12pm by kakeladi

wendydou Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 11:02am
post #1 of 13

I need red roses and I have bunch of colors, but not sure which to mix to get red instead of pink

I have Americolor red red
Wilton - xmas red, red red, no taste red, burgundy..

I also have the wilton tubes of pastel red and neon pink.

I have a tube of red frosting too that I've mixed into my frosting to get red but it doesn't get as deep as I want..

any suggestions??

Thanks
Wendy

12 replies
awolf24 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 13

Americolor Super Red is the best, I think. I have used it for any of the red on the cakes in my gallery.

I have never had luck with Wilton reds at all - turn our orangy or pink and I don't use them anymore.

cakemommy Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 13

First thing you do is throw out ALL your Wilton colors!!!

Americolor gels are the way to go. Super Red is a really nice red. Red Red is great as well. You still have to add a decent amount of gel color but NOT half the container like Wilton!!!!! The red is truer!!!!!!

Don't add other reds or other darker colors to deepen the red you are trying to achieve. Just use good amounts of the gel you are using.

Amy

tiggy2 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 13

I use chefmaster liqua gel colors to get a true red (or black) and it doesn't take very much. They are highly concentrated and very vibrant colors. I don't have to let my icing sit to achieve red or black.

cakemommy Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 13

I have seen Chefmaster colors before. I have never tried them. I'll have to check them out. I like Americolor but it doesn't hurt to try new brands. You never know one is always better than another!

Amy

kakeladi Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 4:13pm
post #6 of 13

Red is one a several colors that MUST be made at least 24 hrs (or more) in advance.
If you are using b'cream you can start w/a base of brillient orange, yellow, or pink then add your red. Made the night before it should be what you want.
Another option is to add UNsugared KoolAid powder. About 1/4 tsp per cup of icing, though I never measure. That added to a base color, again at least the night before is greaticon_smile.gif
When you open the container it may be spotty....you'll think I lost my mind suggesting it, but just stir it up well and it will be a beautiful color and taste soooooo goodicon_smile.gif
Any red colored KoolAid will work - black cherry, strawberry, or punch are good.

tiggy2 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 5:01pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemommy

I have seen Chefmaster colors before. I have never tried them. I'll have to check them out. I like but it doesn't hurt to try new brands. You never know one is always better than another!

Amy

I also have americolor also but there is no comparison IMO. Making it 24 hrs. in advance is NOT necessary.

AJsGirl Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 5:12pm
post #8 of 13

I use Americolor Super Red. I don't have to make mine in advance, either. I get a true red every time.

JEM530 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 11:36pm
post #9 of 13

Kakeladi - Does the Koolaid give the buttercream that overpowering Koolaid flavor? I don't mind flavoring the BC but just don't want to be overwhelmed! TIA

wendydou Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 10:32am
post #10 of 13

Thanks for all the responses! I used a lot of Americolor red red (ordered my super red today!) and I added some gel color red that I had on hand ., it may have been Wilton, but not too much.. I didn't even notice a difference when I mixed it in.. I thought it looked orangy but my 9 yr old said her eyes were on fire it was so red! LOL So I made my roses and put them on my cake! I think they are red! I can't figure out how to resize my pix, so if you want to see the end result , it's on my photobucket site.. the link should be here..

Thanks again!!!
Wendy icon_biggrin.gif

awolf24 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 12:39pm
post #11 of 13

Weird - I want to see your cake but when I click on ithe photobucket link, another window opens with this same post again. Anyone else having trouble?

wendydou Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 12:45pm
post #12 of 13

I've had a lot of trouble with people not being able to see my stuff.. I have no idea how to resize my pix to get them on this site.. I need to change to another forum I think... I"ll try to send it to you via email..

Wendy

kakeladi Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 3:12pm
post #13 of 13

kakeladi - Does the Koolaid give the buttercream that overpowering Koolaid flavor?

Not if you don't use the whole pkgicon_smile.gif
Keep it about 1/4 tsp or less. I seldom measure - just sprinkle some on and mix it in.

Dark colors - like red, brown, black all need time for the color to 'develop'. The more gel or paste added the more it will continue to darken over time.
Making it and using right away can lead to your having much darker colors than you wanticon_sad.gif
What does it hurt to keep some colors mixed up and ready? Plastic containers w/lids are readily available so you can keep the icing in the frig or fzr until you are ready for it. You won't have to agonize over ending up w/a shade of color you didn't want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%