Help! Help! American Flag Help!

Decorating By Molly2 Updated 27 Mar 2008 , 3:00pm by Molly2

Molly2 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 11:00am
post #1 of 4

How do I get my fondant very red I will be making a cake today and I need my fondant to be red for the on my American Flag that will be on top of my cake Ple ase any help is appreciated.

Molly2

3 replies
cakedout Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 4

Hopefully you have plenty of red color on hand! icon_lol.gif

I use CK Product gel: Super Chinese Red it's the only one i've come across that makes a true red. Many of the cc'ers use Americolor, but i'm not familiar with them.

Rule number 1: remember to wear food prep gloves!!! icon_lol.gif

I form a bowl shape in the amount of fondant I want to color and put in about a teaspoon of red color, fold it over, and kneed it in...adding more red gel as needed. That amount of color sometimes softens the fondant too much, so I add some ps as well.

Don't try to color large amounts of fondant at one time....do it in smaller batches, then eventually kneed all the batches together to get a uniform color.

HTH

cakesonoccasion Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 4

I agree with cakedout about the smaller batches...works better to color small ones and then put it all together. Unless you have arms like the Goveror of California! I use Americolor's Super Red. It still takes quite a bit- but it eventually works out! I've heard that some people start by using strawberry powdered jello and that adds a base color as well as flavor. Worth a try!

Molly2 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 4

Thank You for all your help I'm really not looking forward to this

Molly2

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%