$50 Cake For 50 People

Decorating By dmaam Updated 9 Jan 2007 , 5:46pm by swingme83

dmaam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmaam Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 16

I am a newbie to this cake decorating world... But, I got a call, yesterday, for a cake that she wants on Tuesday... the short notice is fine since no one is beating down my door for a cake since I just got started... Anyway, to me I think that wanting to only spend $50 for a cake that is suppose to feed 50 people - she should have gone to Wal-Mart. But, then again, I am not familiar at all on what to charge on any cake.

Here is my question... will a 2 layered - 12in. round cake pan feed 50 people? Being that each layer is 1 1/2in. thick?

Thank you for your time on my problem.

Michelle

15 replies
SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 16

Wilton party servings guide says a double layer 12" round (2" layers) will serve 40 people. If you do a search of this site you will find servings vary from person to person. As a general guide I take the wilton party servings and the wilton wedding servings and average the amount. I start my pricing at $2.50 per serving, but have been known to do simple sheet cakes for less.

Good Luck!

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 16

For $50, all they would get from me (especially with short notice), is a simply decorated half sheet cake.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 16

I agree! I would do a simple sheet cake for this price.

dmaam Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 16

I do not have a 1/2 sheet pan. Where can I get one on short notice? Does Wal-Mart carry them?

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 16

I don't think walmart will have them but michaels might. Or a local bakery shop that sells pans usually has them in stock. I'd just call ahead to any place and check. But give them a size to look for don't just say a half sheet cake. As there rae so many deff of "what is this size called" referring to rectangle pans, a specific saize does you better.
For 50.00 for 50 people she deff wouldn't get any more out of me than a 1/2 with b/c icing and simple border. Too much time and effort isn't worth 50.00 for that amount of people. Unlesss you see future order poss seeing and eating your cake. I'd make it's a real good tasting cake and icing. Nothing fancy but deff a good quality.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 16

for an order that is likely to not leave you with much of a profit, i would say do not go and buy a new pan for 12-15 dollars. do you have a 9x13? perhaps you can do two of those. are they particular on the size or shape? i would suggest using what you have...if you have a 12 round, use that (double layer) and perhaps a dozen cupcakes for the additional servings left in the kitchen. make it simple, but pretty. what do they want in specific?

you can let them know that if they want a specific size or shape but you do not have the pan , you will have to add to the cost of the order to cover your extra expense.

melysa Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 6:29pm
post #8 of 16

for an order that is likely to not leave you with much of a profit, i would say do not go and buy a new pan for 12-15 dollars. do you have a 9x13? perhaps you can do two of those. are they particular on the size or shape? i would suggest using what you have...if you have a 12 round, use that (double layer) and perhaps a dozen cupcakes for the additional servings left in the kitchen. make it simple, but pretty. what do they want in specific?

you can let them know that if they want a specific size or shape but you do not have the pan , you will have to add to the cost of the order to cover your extra expense.

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 6:48am
post #9 of 16

Walmart here carries the 11x15, and it's the worst Walmart I've seen. IF you would be using it in the future, it would be a good investment.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 6:56am
post #10 of 16

Someone gave me a Wilton 11 by 15, and I am amazed at how much I have used it! Not a bad investment. Our walmart sells it for around $10.

Good luck and just pretend you're getting paid $50 bucks to practice! icon_smile.gif

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 7:01am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmama

Walmart here carries the 11x15, and it's the worst Walmart I've seen. IF you would be using it in the future, it would be a good investment.

Hahaha! I was surprised to see that our bad walmart had one too.

dmaam Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 5:24pm
post #12 of 16

I bought one at Wal-Mart and I am going to duplicate the napkin and draw a pregnant lady under an umberella.

Just getting into this making cakes for money - it amazes me to see the people that want these elaborate cakes, but do not want to spend the money. Unless, you do it or are around someone that does - people do not realize the hours it takes to make a cake from start to finish.

Thank you for your help. Again, I think all of you are the greatest of people - you help complete strangers everyday. Thank you

Michelle

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 5:33pm
post #13 of 16

don't forget to post this masterpiece for us. We love new inspirations!

melysa Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 5:34pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaam

it amazes me to see the people that want these elaborate cakes, but do not want to spend the money. Unless, you do it or are around someone that does - people do not realize the hours it takes to make a cake from start to finish.
Michelle

You can say that again!

Have you checked out the similar cakes in the gallery for ideas? I am pretty sure that I know the pattern youve mentioned, and there are some really CUTE cakes following that design idea.

Be sure to post a pic!

melysa Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 5:35pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaam

it amazes me to see the people that want these elaborate cakes, but do not want to spend the money. Unless, you do it or are around someone that does - people do not realize the hours it takes to make a cake from start to finish.
Michelle

You can say that again!

Have you checked out the similar cakes in the gallery for ideas? I am pretty sure that I know the pattern youve mentioned, and there are some really CUTE cakes following that design idea.

Be sure to post a pic!

swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 5:46pm
post #16 of 16

Just getting into this making cakes for money - it amazes me to see the people that want these elaborate cakes, but do not want to spend the money. Unless, you do it or are around someone that does - people do not realize the hours it takes to make a cake from start to finish.

I completely agree. However my mom sees how many hours i spend and then i appaled by how much i would charge so i always lower my price. The last cake i only charged $25 cause it was for a good family friend and she ended up "tipping" me as much and siad she wouldnt expect to pay any less in teh store. y mom was shocked. $50 doesnt go a long way these days but if the customer is like my mom they expect to get a lot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%