Standing Letter On Cake

Decorating By SeptBabyMom Updated 29 Mar 2008 , 4:06pm by trixieleigh

SeptBabyMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeptBabyMom Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 10:06am
post #1 of 7

I'm sure this question has been answered before. I would normally search it myself, but I'm in a bit of a time crunch. So I was really hoping someone could tell me how (best tips and suggestions) to stand up a letter or number on a cake? I want to make a flat number 1 with gumpaste for the top of the cake, but not sure if I need to do anything with it while it's still mould-able (is that a word?).

Also, my plan for cutting it is to just print a number with my favorite font in a LARGE font. I'll then cut that number out and use it as a guide for cutting the already rolled fondant with an exacto knife. Then let it dry. Any tips? Is that too simple? Ha ha.

Thanks everyone.

6 replies
plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 10:59am
post #2 of 7

Sounds like you have a good plan... I would put in whatever I was going to use to put it in the cake before trying... I have used toothpick, but fixing to try some pointed skewers on a cake I'm doing right now...

Good luck!
Pat

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 11:05am
post #3 of 7

I always use a template printed from my computer. Helps me keep the numbers and letters straight and in scale. I also use a toothpick to help hold the letters in place. Guess it is just that simple.

kymscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kymscakes Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 11:17am
post #4 of 7

I have also used a little "blob" of fondant to make a little base and then disguise it with decorations, how I did the #1 in one of the most recent cakes in my photos.

mbh724 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbh724 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 11:17am
post #5 of 7

I made big letters once and used a lollipop stick.

kymscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kymscakes Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 11:17am
post #6 of 7

I have also used a little "blob" of fondant to make a little base and then disguise it with decorations, how I did the #1 in one of the most recent cakes in my photos.

trixieleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trixieleigh Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 4:06pm
post #7 of 7

I have done the numbers on a birthday cake thing with the skewers, which worked great! I am working on my frist wedding cake, and the bride wants a "scrolly" S on the top layer. I think I will make it out of MMF. How do you attack it to the cake? I don't think a skewer will hold it up. I was thinking that I could wrap MMF around a wire made into the shape I wanted and make the wire where it had 2 wires sticking down to stick in straws filled with fondant. Am I right?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%