Calling All Ohioans.....

Business By aprilcake Updated 27 Mar 2008 , 2:22pm by MichelleM77

aprilcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilcake Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 12:06am
post #1 of 5

Hi! I have a few questions for those of you in ohio. I know that Ohio is not as harsh as some states on home baking...but I need to know exactly what I can and cannot do. Right now I cannot get licensed because I have pets. So under the cottage industries thingy I saw on the dept of agricultures website...goes that allow me to still bake, sell and advertise and also can I go to bridal shows with just a cottage industries thingy...and exactly what all do I have to put on labels on my cakes to meet the requirements for the cottage industries...this all is a little confusing to me and I am just trying to figure this all out! one more thing...if i find a kitchen to rent (no clue where to start though) can I be licensed then and still have pets at home? Thanks for whoever can help! I really appreciate it!

April :0)

4 replies
Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 12:26am
post #2 of 5

April - here is a link from a post about Ohio. It has some really good information.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-533223-ohio.html

You can also call the state. They are very nice. But be warned....you call one day and you'll get one answer and you call the next day and it's something different. It's kind of a gray area.

HTH a little.

Good Luck!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 5

You cannot sell anything that needs refrigeration, so be careful of the fillings and icings you choose too.

I emailed the DOA so that I had it in writing who I talked to and what they said, just in case someone else said something different.

We are very lucky to be in Ohio with the cottage laws.

aprilcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilcake Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks so much! THis helps a lot! I better get labeling!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 2:22pm
post #5 of 5

Once you have your ingredient list made up, make a sheet of labels for each thing you have. That way you just have to slap a label on the box and go. It's a minor expense really to be able to bake from home. Gotta love Ohio!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%