Old School Wedding Cake?

Decorating By Kate714 Updated 27 Mar 2008 , 5:07pm by Kate714

Kate714 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 7

I have someone requesting a 60th wedding anniversary cake. She actually gave me a photo of her mother cutting the cake, but I cannot make out any details, other than it's all white and has some bright flowers around the base, I think roses.

Can anyone give me suggestions on what designs I can use for an all white wedding cake, that is kind of "old school"? I was thinking basketweave on the bottom tier but will it look weird to do the top tier something else, and if not, what would you suggest?

thank you!

6 replies
peterlori1 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 9:19am
post #2 of 7

Hi Kate,

I have an old school cake in my pics that was a replication of the original for a 50th anniversary. I don't think basketweave was used 60 years ago. Zig zag garlands and drop strings were pretty popular. It may help if you can get a hold of some of the older Wilton books. If you do decide to go with basketweave on the bottom tier, it would look fine to decorate the other tiers differently. Just be sure to repeat a design element on all the tiers; i.e. same border. I hope this helps.

playingwithsugar Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 10:45am
post #4 of 7

It's called Piping Skills, which is something that cake decorating has strayed from over the past few years. Check out the out-of-print Wilton books on e-Bay. You'll find plenty of info in them.

I love Old School Cake Deco.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Kate714 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 7

wow, guys thanks for the info - and Jan, great links as always!! I feared someone would tell me stringwork...something I have no experience with icon_cry.gif well, at least this woman is trusting me to do whatever. icon_biggrin.gif

ccr03 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 7

Can you scan the photo so we can look at it? THat may help give more definite suggestions.

Kate714 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 5:07pm
post #7 of 7

I don't have a scanner...and I really can't make out the details at all...it looks a lot like the photos in Jan's links! It is tough to decipher.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%