Metal Vs Acrylic Gum Paste Tools?

Decorating By Bossy Updated 27 Mar 2008 , 11:25pm by Bossy

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 4

I'm starting to purchase tools for GP work. I see metal and acrylic tools for sale (know enough not to buy cheap plastic). Is there an advantage to using one or the other? Anyone have a fave tool that makes life easier?

Thanks from a new cake decorating addict!
Liz

3 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 12:37am
post #2 of 4

I prefer metal ball tools for thinning and ruffling flowers, the acrylic seem to leave a shredded edge on them. I have the ball tools in three sizes, each one has a ball at both ends, one a bit smaller than the other. You can find them on Global Sugar Arts. I made a list of what I consider to be a basic gumpaste tool kit that may help you, all of the items are available through Global.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-54056.html

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 4

I really like my metal ball tools. I bought a couple of them of different weights, and my favorite is the heavier one. I don't have to put so much effort into furling the edges.

Deanna

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the info. What about the acrylic or lucite roller vs the plastic one? Do those little plastic spacer rings on the plastic roller work? What brand are the heavier tools? Sorry for all the questions, but I have learned from other crafts I have tried that the right tools make all the difference!

Liz

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%