Instructor Questions

Business By amazinggracecakedesigns Updated 27 Mar 2008 , 11:32am by playingwithsugar

amazinggracecakedesigns Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 6

I am currently taking the Wilton classes. I am getting ready to start Class 3 and my instructor said that I will be able to apply for a Wilton Instructor license. I was wondering can you teach cake decorating classes without being a licensed Wilton Instructor as long as you don't promote just Wilton products? Any replies would be greatly appreciated!! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
Cakepro Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 6

LOL, well first off, you don't get 'licensed' or simply get approved by Wilton to teach the Wilton Method and then you are in their database of instructors to call when an teaching opportunity opens in your area.

You can certainly teach cake decorating classes without being a WMI (Wilton Method Instructor) but you can't say you teach the Wilton Method. Find an independent account, like a local cake supply shop, and see if you qualify according to their standards to teach cake classes.

Sherri (WMI x 11 yrs)

playingwithsugar Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 6

There used to be a manager at our local Michael's Arts and Crafts store, who claimed to be a "Certified Wilton Instructor." When I inquired with Wilton regarding how to become "certified", the representative told me there is no such thing as a "licensed or certified" Wilton instructor. You have to submit an application online, with references and photos. If they feel your work is qualified to teach, they will refer you to stores in your area, when position openings arise. Wilton only refers instructors to stores which sell their products.

This was two years ago. Unless their policy has changed, you must go through the above procedure.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

iamlis Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 6

Nope, nothing has changed! There is no certification and Wilton will be the first to tell you that. What they will ask you to do is go to and click on Instructors Needed! It is alot of fun!

amazinggracecakedesigns Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 11:07am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for all the information!! Sometimes other people seem to mislead you and not explain things very well. thumbs_up.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 11:32am
post #6 of 6

Your post is only one of quite a few times I have heard of this from others. Sometimes I think that instructors try to boost their own ego by calling themselves certified or licensed. Another reason is that they might try to glamorize the position, whether it be for the sake of their own ego, or to impress others.

Another story I have heard Wilton instructors tell, even more often, is that the skills you learn at the Wilton classes will qualify you to work in a bakery. Yes, the actual skills may be the same, but the speed at which you must work in a bakery is never mentioned. I have read many a thread in the forums about people who have completed Wilton 1-3, then tried to get a job in a bakery. They either did not get the job, or lost it within days, or quit within days, because they could not handle the speed or pressure.

So sad. I'm glad you asked us, rather than possibly be disappointed later.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%