Dumb Question Regarding Layers And Filling

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 26 Mar 2008 , 6:53pm by Trixyinaz

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 4

Okay, I just made a cake. I made two 10" x 2" cakes. I leveled the first cake, made a dam and added my filling. Then I placed my 2nd leveled cake on top of that. Is that considered a double layer?

My question is, am I supposed to cut each layer in half and have 3 layers of filling and four layers of cake?

What exactly is a double layer? Is it two cakes on top of each other with filling in the center or is it one cake cut in half with filling in the center?

Just need clarification? I get confused easily icon_redface.gificon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 4

It's however you want to make it. There are no rules.

Two 2" cakes with filling between is generally known simply as a 2-layer cake (and it's considered "one tier").

Two 2" cakes that are cut in half (resulting in 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling) are usually referred to as a torted cake.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 4

a double-layer cake would typically be two peices of cake with icing or filling between the two pieces and covered in icing to make one cake.

If you split one cake layer into 2 or three pieces and put filling or icing in between that is called 'torting' Two layers, each split into two gives you 4 layers of cake, 3 layers of incing/filling.

Torting provides more icing to cake ratio, and a taller completed cake.

There aren't any rules about which way you put the cake together. However, if you plan to carve the cake, torting is not recommended.

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks! that all makes sense. icon_biggrin.gif

Not confused anymore....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%