Question About Smoothness

Decorating By aunt_dodo Updated 27 Mar 2008 , 1:09am by sugarshack

aunt_dodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt_dodo Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 11

I am just finishing Wilton Course ! (Last night was the final class). I have been asked to do a sheet cake and I want to know how to get it nice and smooth. I have tried the spatula in warm water, and I have attempted to try the paper towel method (the latter didn't work). What are ya'll suggestions? That is really the only thing that frustrates me with my decorating so far.

Thanks!

10 replies
BROOKSIE007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BROOKSIE007 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 11

The paper towel method works for me. Just be sure that the icing has crusted. Do you have a fondant smoother? I use it instead of my hand. Make sure you use VIVA paper towels. That is the only kind that I have found to work. thumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 11

What was the problem with each methods?
If you let the icing crust (Wilton's icing should be ready in less than 15 minutes) it works well icon_smile.gif
As for the *hot* spatula, boil some water (I prefer to do this in the MW in a deep pitcher so the spatula is completely covered w/water); shake off excess and go for it - you need to wipe off any icing you pick up; then rewarm the spatula between each swipe. I don't has as much luck this way as toweling.

aunt_dodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt_dodo Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 11

THe spatula method works pretty well, just not as well as I'd like (I'm very anal about smoothness). The paper towel method I tried I guess before the icing was crusted. I am making another cake today just because, for practice. I will try the viva method with this cake. Also, does the type of icing (chocolate, vanilla, etc.) make a difference on whether or not the VIVA method works, or does it not matter?

Thanks so much ladies!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 11

Melvira method all the way, baby!! thumbs_up.gif Ever since I discovered this, I've never done a cake without my handy roller!

cassi_g16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassi_g16 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 11

Here lately I have been using the warm spatula....I leave my hot water running and do mine by the sink. After I do that and get it as smooth as I can then I either use the Viva paper towels ....sometimes it works well some times it doesn't. I have better luck with uncolored icing with the method. My favorite is the foam roller. You can get them in the paint supplies. they have a rounded end so you even use them on carved cakes. Just use firm short passes

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 11

Melvira method all the way. Just be sure yu get the correct roller (high density) and don't use too much pressure.

funbun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funbun Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 7:01pm
post #8 of 11

Melvira, Melvira, Melvira method for me! It works everytime.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 7:11pm
post #9 of 11

If you're using a crusting bc icing, then Melvira's method definitely! If not, then what I do is to let my hot tap run (it gets hot enough), hold the spatula under that and wipe it dry, then smooth the icing. This seems to work well for me, though I would much rather use Melvira's roller method if given the choice.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 7:16pm
post #10 of 11

When using any method your icing should be as close as smooth as possible. If the icing is too soft the cake will never look great..If it is tooo stiff it will break your cake.. My favorite consistency is a medium consistency.
The viva method works for me. I ususally do it with a fontand smother. One of this days I wanna try the Melvira method. But I will say dont despair.
I tell my students. When you finish the Wilton classes if you caount the hours of classes you have taken they are not really that many hours. And you are already decorating cakes.
The only thing that will make you better is practice. The bumps along the way will come.. Questions you have can be answeres here or in other websites but at the end of the day perseverance will make you a better decorator..
Good luck!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 1:09am
post #11 of 11

I make sure I start with an airless icing.

use a hot bench scraper to smooth the sides.

use small spatula to get the excess off the top.

let it crust ( near immediate for me).

use paper towel and then computer paper with a fondant smoother to get it smooth as glass!

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%