Epson Edible Printer Clog

Decorating By cinjam Updated 28 Mar 2008 , 7:58pm by cinjam

cinjam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinjam Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 9

I have an Epson Stylus C88 as my edible printer. It has a clog in the black & yellow head that I cannot get OUT. Can you here me screaming from where ever you are???

I went through all the diagnostics on the printer maintenance; did all the choices (repeatedly) for clearing the nozzles/print head. I have checked the cartridges: they all have ink & release ink when tapped (a tip from Kopykakes web site). I know that Epson does not have the removable print heads - so I am at a loss at what to do next.

I tried swabbing the nozzles of the print head (on the side I can see) with hot water, vinegar and lemon juice...no luck

It is only a few months old.

I googled & there are articles that the Epson's are notorious for clogging print heads & they give instructions on how to dismantle the printer & clear the heads (involves a syringe w/no needle & a 3/4 inch long piece of model airplane gas engine fuel tubing). I am going to give this a try, but thought I would try all of you first!!

Anyone successfully clear a clog from an Epson printer?

8 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 9

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with your printer. I have an epson (over a year) and have never had a clog so I'm afraid I'm not much help. Let us know what works when you figure it out.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 9

I've got an Epson CX4800. I've had a couple of clogs because I just don't use it as often as it calls for to keep the ink flowing. I hadn't used it for a couple of months and when I tried to use it last week, the yellow was clogged. I did the cleaning which by the way takes a LOT of your edible ink. It did not unclog it so I ended up taking the yellow cartridge out. It had a thin film of yellow ink over the opening which I was able to remove with the end of a paper clip. I then replaced the cartridge and it worked fine. Maybe your problem is as simple as that. I wish you luck with it. I know it can be frustrating.

cinjam Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by butternut

I did the cleaning which by the way takes a LOT of your edible ink.

Jeez - don't I know it! I will take a look at what you suggested tonight. In the interim, I ordered the cleaning kit from Kopykake (which comes with the syringe & tubing). I am dreading taking it apart; although DH has offered to help (and he's WAY more mechanical than I!!).

Wish me luck

Ellistwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellistwins Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 11:11am
post #5 of 9

I have a Canon printer and also don't print very often. So I got the same problem. Now i take the cartridges out when i don't print, I ordered the cleaning cartriges and clean the printer after every print so that nothing is stuck in the nossles and then when i print again, i remove the little sponges in the cartridge and turn it around so the wet side is outside. It works like a charm and that after i've wasted almost 2 new cartridges of ink with the maintenance stuff. Me and my printer is not the best of buddies as I again have to order from someone else as i've ran out of yellow because of this endless problem. I assume since i've found the resolution, it will last me a bit longer, but it is an expensive excercise. Good luck

cinjam Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellistwins

I have a Canon printer and also don't print very often. So I got the same problem. Now i take the cartridges out when i don't print, I ordered the cleaning cartriges and clean the printer after every print so that nothing is stuck in the nossles and then when i print again, i remove the little sponges in the cartridge and turn it around so the wet side is outside. It works like a charm and that after i've wasted almost 2 new cartridges of ink with the maintenance stuff. Me and my printer is not the best of buddies as I again have to order from someone else as i've ran out of yellow because of this endless problem. I assume since i've found the resolution, it will last me a bit longer, but it is an expensive excercise. Good luck

That's what my thought is: when I get this working again, I will run the cleaner through after every print job. I am thinking at worst, I will have to buy another Epson...we'll see!

Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 3:50pm
post #7 of 9

I had a epson cx7800. It clogged up used up a brand new 100 dollar ink cartridge on cleaning. Clogged again. End up throwing it away. I now have a canon. The printer quality isn't icon_cry.gif

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 5:15pm
post #8 of 9

I bought the large format Epson 1400. I, should say we since hubby worked on it the most, had trouble from the get go. He used the syringes and refilled a couple of them. He thought it was air bubbles not clogs. I have to say, it's pretty cool when you get it going.

cinjam Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:58pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickster

He thought it was air bubbles not clogs.

Yes, I thought that too. I found so many articles when I searched the web & some of them talked about air bubbles, not clogs. This weekend we are going to take it apart and see what we can find

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%