What Color Buttercream For Edible Images?

Decorating By SusieHazCakes Updated 27 Mar 2008 , 4:11pm by Bettycrockermommy

SusieHazCakes Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 15

I'm doing my first edible images this weekend and they're whoppers! I'm make an 8-inch cube cake and it'll look like a photo cube, so I'll have five 8-in. square images. The photos will be on the darkish side like the one I've attached here. Should I use just a plain white buttercream? Will it show through the image? I'm sure when I actually get the images and start playing with them, it'll be more clear, but I'm trying to plan how it'll work.

I'm going to put black fondant strips around the edges to kind of frame the photos and figured I'd do that after the images have set. Do I just lightly brush the back of the fondant strips with water like I normally would to attach them to buttercream?

Thanks!
LL

14 replies
Bettycrockermommy Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 15

You always want to use white behind edible images, Any other color will bleed through and ruin your picture. Trust me, I learned this one the hard way. icon_lol.gif I'm not sure about the water on the fondant with the edible image. Hopefully someone else has had experience with this, and can help you more. Sounds like a really cool cake. I can't wait to see it!

beachcakes Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 15

Hi Susie! Definitely use a white background! Any other color will likely show through.

For the fondant strips, I would attach with a little BC.

SusieHazCakes Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 15

Thanks, you two, that was exactly what I needed to know!

Now, if CakeCentral will start acting right and send me notifications of postings, I'd be a totally happy camper. Everything on my end is as it should be, but I haven't received a notification for a post in a couple of days. Maybe I'll log off and and log back in to CC and see if that helps.

tiggy2 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 15

Water will melt the edible image so use BC.

SusieHazCakes Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:14pm
post #6 of 15

Thanks, I'm so happy I asked about this.

And, I logged out, deleted my cookies and logged back in to CakeCentral, and my notifications are back. Yippee!

beachcakes Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:17pm
post #7 of 15

I find that if i'm the original poster, I don't get notifications. If i post to an existing thread and someone posts after me, I get notifications. Strange.

fiddlesticks Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 15

I found that if the background of you EI is very dark and you use almost the same color icing under it its fine . I posted a st patricks day cake where I did that and it never showed through at all . Even after min of 24 hrs ! Just a thought !

veejaytx Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 8:09pm
post #9 of 15

If you look at the two photos I have in my gallery, you can see both a dark image on white and one with white on a darker icing.

I've not had a problem with the dark images bleeding onto any icing.

SusieHazCakes Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 8:14pm
post #10 of 15

Thanks for the info and reference to the photos. That's very helpful and I appreciate it.

beachcakes Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 2:40pm
post #11 of 15

I put an EI on a cake that had pastel pink & purple squares. The EI had a white background and you could see through it - I think it's now on p.2 of my gallery. I was not happy. icon_sad.gif

Edited to say: sorry, it's on the bottom pf p. 1.

SusieHazCakes Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 2:57pm
post #12 of 15

Thanks, Renee, for showing me that. The cake was still cute, but you can see through the edible image. It's going to be white buttercream all the way for me and I hope it doesn't make the dark parts of the photos too light.

beachcakes Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 3:10pm
post #13 of 15

You're very welcome! Don't worry - the white BC won't lighten the dark color on the EI. It will look the same as it looks when you print it out. icon_smile.gif

SusieHazCakes Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 3:24pm
post #14 of 15

Thanks! I'm so excited to do this cake. I hope the images are as sharp as I want them to be. icon_smile.gif

Bettycrockermommy Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 4:11pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

I put an EI on a cake that had pastel pink & purple squares. The EI had a white background and you could see through it - I think it's now on p.2 of my gallery. I was not happy. icon_sad.gif

Edited to say: sorry, it's on the bottom pf p. 1.

This is exactly what happened to me... I put an edible image of a white dog on pink icing, per my niece's wishes, and she ended up with a picture of a pink dog. icon_lol.gif Lesson learned for me icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%