Layered Cake Help

Decorating By Jillmarie Updated 27 Mar 2008 , 2:51pm by Jillmarie

Jillmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jillmarie Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 6

How do I get my layers not to slide off of each other???
Help!!!
Thanks so much! icon_surprised.gif [/quote]

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 6

sounds like you're putting too much filling between them. Are you using a BC dam around the edge of the cake?

Jillmarie Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 6

I'm not sure. I use buttercream all around the cake and in between the layers. Maybe I am just using too much in between!!!

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 6

I find that doing the cake in stages and chilling helps.

Start off with cold cake (it torts better when chilled); do your filling, then stick a couple of skewers in the cake to hold it. Put it in the fridge to chill and let the layers set.

Once they're set, pull the skewers out and trim if you need to even up. Do your crumb coat, chill again to set the cc, then you can frost.

Around Christmas, I was doing a 9 inch cake that ended up 11 inches high, with about 8 thin layers of cake separated by alternating layers of chocolate and raspberry mousse. It kept leaning over and I couldn't get it to stay straight - then I had an "aha!" moment and tried the skewers. Worked like a charm! I had to go through and trim the cake a little to even it up since there was some slippage before it had set.

I ended up doing a little bit thicker of a layer of buttercream on the sides to help with structural support. The cake traveled 170 miles to be served and stayed vertical icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 6

I've never had layers slide apart that I know of.
Make a dam of icing - this is simply a ring of icing piped at the edge of the cake with tip 12 and stiff icing. Now put your filling inside that.
Maybe your layers are not level? That can cause slippage. Use a cake leveler. Put cake in pan and use it as a measurement. Any cake over the top edge gets trimmed off so you have a perfectly level layer of cake.

Jillmarie Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 2:51pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for all the great advice! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%