Need To Vent....need Help!

Decorating By lelajoyce Updated 26 Mar 2008 , 9:06pm by Krystl

lelajoyce Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 5

decorating a cake is not the big deal for me. It is getting a nice canvas!!!!!

last night i baked and cooled a 2 layer chocolate.....My frosting seemed to be the right consitancy. My problem this time was that the cake was chocolate and you could see the rim on the sides of where the two cakes meet. i tried to add more frosting on the sides but when i would go to smooth it the cake would still show through....any tips. i did use a cake icer tip.

Also does anyone have any tips for not getting icing on your cake board or plate while frosting. I always seem to make a mess

4 replies
indydebi Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 5

Did you use a pan that flared (wilton pan)? When I use those, I will freeze them, then using a paring knife, trim the sides until they are flat, and not flared. (Stand the cakes on edge, like a wheel, and whittle away!) This eliminates the edges of the cake poking out of the sides of the cake, which can cause what you are describing.

lelajoyce Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 5

they are wilton......

so i have magic line pans that are 3" deep can i just seperate that into two layers?? would that be best?

indydebi Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 5

that'll work!! thumbs_up.gif

Krystl Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 5

my first thought is to cut yourself a wax paper round the same diameter of what you are putting your cake on, split it in half (or maybe just one split line to keep it from falling off), then cut the middle out so that you only have ½ -¼" of paper under your cake. (or the line where you are planning for your borders to end).
then, when you are done, just pull the paper out from under the cake and toss it in the trash!

Quote by @%username% on %date%