Using Stencils On Cake

Decorating By mcdonald Updated 30 Mar 2008 , 12:31am by kwdonlon

mcdonald Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 8

I am going to cover a cake in fondant and want to stencil a design on it. Can anyone help me with the best way to do it? I know most use royal icing. But how do you get the smooth look to it?? Do I thin down the royal some??

As always... any help is greatly appreciated!!!! I really want a pretty cake and would love for this to work out!!

7 replies
pastrylady Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 8

I have used royal icing to stencil on fondant. I did thin the icing down a little bit so it's easy to spread. But don't thin it too much or it's might ooze under the stencil cutouts or drip. Also, I found it helpful to let the surface of the fondant dry a little so the stencil doesn't stick to the fondant.

Depending on the design, you can also airbrush the stencil...I've done this with a gingham pattern. It's more difficult than using royal icing because you've got to get the stencil very flat on the cake before you spray or your design will have fuzzy edges. Hope this makes sense.

HTH.

jillycakes Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 2:14pm
post #3 of 8

I know you're looking for answers for a fondant-covered cake, but you can also use a stencil on a cake covered w/ buttercream. After your BC crusts, lay the stencil on top, holding it in place w/ one hand, and smooth the contrasting BC over the stencil w/ a foam wedge. I've done this several times and it works like a charm.

mcdonald Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 8

thank you for ya'lls help.... interesting idea about the buttercream..... they weren't thrilled about fondant so I think I might just give the buttercream tip a try!!

Thanks to all as always!!!! Wish me luck!!! icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 10:33pm
post #5 of 8

U do not HAVE to use royal icing . you can also use BC to stencil. I have used both with much success.

I paddle it on with my fav little palette knife, get it as smoth as possible accross the top but it does not have to be eprfect and left the stencil away.

You can do it on well crusted BC or fondant.

here is a pic of BC on BC
LL

amytracy1981 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 11:36pm
post #6 of 8

http://www.designerstencils.com/videos.shtml
go to this website. it has how to videos on cake stenciling for both fondant covered and buttercream covered cakes. looks pretty easy I'll get around to trying it....someday icon_rolleyes.gif .

mcdonald Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 8

thanks ya'll for your help!!! Love that website by the way!!

kwdonlon Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 12:31am
post #8 of 8

So sad...I don't think the videos are Macintosh compatible. <sniffle>

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%