Wasc Question

Decorating By micnmax2003 Updated 26 Mar 2008 , 3:45pm by micnmax2003

micnmax2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micnmax2003 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:17am
post #1 of 13

After finally figuring out what WASC is...I have a question: Is it possible to make it with a butter pecan cake mix? I would like to make some cupcakes as well as some cake balls (I found butter pecan coffee creamer today). Any thoughts as to if I can substitute the white cake & any other alterations that would be required? Also, what kind of icing should I use on the cupcakes?
Okay.....I think it's more than just one question icon_smile.gif Any help is greatly appreciated.

12 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:27am
post #2 of 13

Well, you can't really hurt it if it is already wrong. i would guess MORE brown would get darker brown. You could then use that to add to white to get tan.

I think it may be the milk in glace that reacts to the color.

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:50am
post #3 of 13

what exactly is WASC? I used the butterfly version of WASC recipe that is posted on this site, although I wasn't really impressed with it...could someone fill me in on this?

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:06am
post #4 of 13

It stands for White Almond Sour Cream Cake. It seems to be so good because of its flavor and light texture, but holds up well to carving and stacking, kind of a best of both worlds icon_smile.gif It is mentioned quite often here, but I found this site and the recipie variations (to make it chocolate, lemon etc) very helpful as were the reviews. Hope this helps! Andrea

http://www.recipezaar.com/69630

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 9:57am
post #5 of 13

I use the WASC recipe exclusively and just alter it for my different cakes. I just replace the water with other types of liquid like liquors, coffee creamers, or juices. I have even added peanut butter to the mix to make a peanut butter cake. Just use the recipe like it is and use different cake mixes and replace the water with different liquids. It is a great moist cake recipe that is very forgiving as far as the things that can go into it.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 9:59am
post #6 of 13

The (highly rated) WASC expanded flavors recipe:

http://tinyurl.com/2cu8s4

micnmax2003, the WASC is a very reliable recipe. However, using liquid coffee creamer can upset the balance of the formua (by adding additional sugar or corn syrup) which can result in your layers rising and then falling upon cooling.

Cake troubleshooting charts:

http://tinyurl.com/2p5bdu

I think either vanilla or butter pecan frosting with the cake or cupcakes would be quite toothsome. icon_smile.gif

HTH

pjaycakes Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 10:05am
post #7 of 13

Thanks JanH - I forgot to say that when I sub coffee creamer I cut back on the sugar in the recipe by about half.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 10:24am
post #8 of 13

Really good info. I've got one question though. Anybody knows a WASC scratch cake recipe? without using the white cake mix.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 10:24am
post #9 of 13

pjaycakes, Your first response wasn't posted when I was composing mine. icon_smile.gif
(Guess we both started typing at the same time.) So I wasn't commenting on your post, and certainly never meant any offense. icon_redface.gif

I think your recommendation to cut back on the sugar will definitely make an improvement when modifying the recipe.

Thanks for the helpful advice. thumbs_up.gif

P.S. I was just coming back to this thread to add a link to CC acronyms:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

HTH

pjaycakes Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 11:47am
post #10 of 13

No offense taken. thumbs_up.gif I'm glad it worked out that way. Sometimes my fingers type faster than my brain thinks.

micnmax2003 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 3:35pm
post #11 of 13

I guess I should clarify...I would use the coffee creamer in the cake balls as the binder. Could I just replace the white cake mix with the butter pecan one and just use vanilla extract in place of the almond?
Thanks!

pjaycakes Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 3:41pm
post #12 of 13

Most certainly. You can replace any cake mix with that recipe and any extract you like.

micnmax2003 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 3:45pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks everyone icon_biggrin.gif After reading the rave reviews of the WASC recipe I can't wait to try it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%