Upside Down Method For Icing Cake

Decorating By xstitcher Updated 26 Mar 2008 , 11:53am by alanahodgson

xstitcher Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 1:35am
post #1 of 8

I have just started my first class for Wilton decorating and have only completed 2 cakes to date. The hardest part for me is smoothing the icing. I would love to try the Viva paper towel method but I cannot find any Viva paper towels here in Calgary, AB, Canada. I have tried 5 different retailers but still no luck. All the other paper towels I have seen seem to have patterns on them.

I came across the following link but was wondering if I could use wax paper instead of parchment paper as I'm not sure what the difference is between the 2 and it's what I have on hand currently.....

Thanks, I really appreciate any help!

7 replies
weddingcake1 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 1:47am
post #2 of 8

wax paper will work just let the BC crust or dry for about 1/2 hour. I prefer viva paper towels though.

tracey1970 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 1:47am
post #3 of 8

You don't need viva paper towel to do the smoothing method. I'm in Canada too, and I can't find Viva towels anywhere. I just use (and I have Sugarshack to thank for this!!) plain, clean computer paper to smooth my cakes. I have used waxed and parchment paper too (not the upside down method, just the regular smoothing methods) and they worked OK. I now use computer paper though.

Tona Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 1:49am
post #4 of 8

I have used wax paper, parchment paper and computer paper all will work fine to smooth the cake. I let mine crust for about 10 minutes and they do great.

alanahodgson Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 1:51am
post #5 of 8

I think wax paper would be okay for an all butter buttercream that will get really firm in the fridge. If you're using a powdered sugar/shortening based icing, give it a shot, but throw the cake in the freezer for a while before peeling off the wax paper, otherwise your icing may lift off when peeling off the paper. Even with parchment, which is much more "no-stick" than waxed, the shortening/p.s. based icings need to be very well chilled before lifting off.

sugarshack Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 4:51am
post #6 of 8

in my experience, for the upside down method, plastic wrap releases the best.

but yes, try computer paper with a fondant smoother on your crusting BC!

xstitcher Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 8:22am
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone!

I'll give it a whirl with the wax paper and stick it in the freezer for a bit. I'll also give the computer paper a try!

Thanks again for the quick responses!

alanahodgson Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 11:53am
post #8 of 8

My experience with the upside down method combined with smoothing with paper/paper towel is that it takes far longer for the icing to crust after taking the cake out of the fridge/freezer because of the condensation. Also, one spot may be crusted okay, but there may be spots that are not crusted yet. Just a word of caution to you if you plan on combining methods.

Quote by @%username% on %date%