Awwwww!! Buttercream Color Dilema...please Help!

Decorating By catin Updated 25 Mar 2008 , 11:38pm by indydebi

catin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catin Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 5

I can't seem to get a wonderful rich red color to my Buttercream . I'm using Wilton paste Christmas Red and all I get is a Neon/ Fushia Pink .

How / What can I get to make it turn a rich red color without adding the entire color jar to the buttercream ?

Julie

4 replies
cohenandlillysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cohenandlillysmom Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 5

I typically use atleast 2 different reds. I like the no taste and then I use whatever I have on hand. But depending on how much frosting you are coloring you may need to use the whole thing. If I am doing any red or black I do them in pretty small batches and then mix them together at the end (all the red or all the black).
Dont get discouraged, just keep adding. If you find yourself really frustrated and you only need a little red for a few accents or something like that I just buy the wilton in the tube.

I hope this helps.

Lil_Belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lil_Belle Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 5

start with a yellow, then orange, then add the red. It helps it become brighter and actually a red.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 5

oh, good idea Lil_Belle.. i usually start by adding pink gel then once i have a nice pink base, i add no taste red. i would suggest if you are making a large batch of red, use the no-taste. the red-red and christmas red from wilton when used in large amounts leave a bitter taste.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 11:38pm
post #5 of 5

It tends to darken over time ... can you make it a couple of days ahead of time and let it sit, to let the color deepen?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%