Ahhhhh! Buttercream Color Dilema ...please Help

Decorating By catin Updated 26 Mar 2008 , 2:26pm by CarolAnn

catin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catin Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 16

I can't seem to get a wonderful rich red color to my Buttercream . I'm using Wilton paste Christmas Red and all I get is a Neon/ Fushia Pink .

How / What can I get to make it turn a rich red color without adding the entire color jar to the buttercream ?

Julie

15 replies
crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 16

maybe try adding a little bit of cocoa powder?

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 10:25pm
post #3 of 16

Colour the icing dark pink first and then add red from there. You will still need a fair bit of red, especially if you have a large batch to do.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 16

use no-taste red, start by making the bc pink using pink. then add the red. it will still take a LOT but the no-taste won't make the bc taste bitter like the red-red or christmas red will. or if you can get your hands on americolor, the colors are richer. you still should start by making the bc pink, then go to red.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 10:34pm
post #5 of 16

First off NEVER use the Christmas red! I am a firm believer that they are not true red! Go with RED RED or no taste red.

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 16

i agree with the suggestion by butterflywings.

i once bought a bottle of super red and, although the red was just the colour that i wanted, it tasted awful!!!

i use wilton's no-taste red first until it is a bright pink and then add a super red colour.

yeastconfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yeastconfection Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 10:49pm
post #7 of 16

Once you've gotten to the point the ladies above described if you find the red is not rich enough and appears red orange you could also use a teeny tiny amount of royal blue or purple. I find this tones the red a bit and looks more like a true red.

yeastconfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yeastconfection Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 10:50pm
post #8 of 16

Once you've gotten to the point the ladies above described if you find the red is not rich enough and appears red orange you could also use a teeny tiny amount of royal blue or purple. I find this tones the red a bit and looks more like a true red.

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 10:58pm
post #9 of 16

There is nothing better than super red americolor. I used to use wilton and had such a problem with the red and black and decided to order some americolor and couldn't believe how quickly I could get these colors to the right colour. Save yourself some time and go and buy americolor.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 10:59pm
post #10 of 16

I've had success by coloring the buttercream a few days in advance. Once I've gotten it to be darker than PeptoBismal, if I let it rest a few days in the fridge, it almost always ends up where I want it.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 11:12pm
post #11 of 16

Yep, letting it set overnight and absorbing all that color is a great idea...I never knew that till CC!!!!!icon_wink.gif

catin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catin Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 12:13pm
post #12 of 16

Thank You all so much for all the fantastic advice . I will use them and keep them close. I truely love this site!!! So helpful and always cheery!!!

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 1:15pm
post #13 of 16

Gotta use Americolor Super Red - there really is no comparison to Wilton. It is SO much better. All the red in any of my photos is with Americolor - and you don't have to use that much.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 1:42pm
post #14 of 16

I use chefmaster liqua gel colors and get red instantly, same with black.

linda2530 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linda2530 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 1:59pm
post #15 of 16

I have had good luck with red powder color. You can get from a lighter shade to a really dark shade of red.I really like it when I want a "clear" red.
It also has no taste although you need to let it sit for the color to develop.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 2:26pm
post #16 of 16

Doesn't Duff say to make your icing yellow before adding the red coloring? I haven't checked that out, just thought I'd heard that on his show.

When I had to use 3 jars of Wilton red red to trim a graduation cake a few years back I stopped using their red. It didn't make it bitter as much as it affected the texture of my bc. Then I was scared to death it'd dye everyone's teeth red.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%