Not Liking Boxed Cake Mixes

Baking By jwiita Updated 27 Mar 2008 , 4:02pm by Sugarflowers

jwiita Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 11

I am just geting started with cake decorating, and bought quite a few mixes because they were on sale. After the making a few different cakes, yellow and white, I've decided I do not like the texture. I've always baked from scratch but thought this way would be quicker, and maybe so, but unless someone can help me with an improvement recipe for box mixes, I'll have to change to scratch made cakes.

10 replies
Sugarflowers Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 11

If you are used to working from scratch, why change? I prefer scratch baking and I don't find it any more expensive than box mixes. My recipes make a larger amount of batter (usually about what 2 boxes make), so I actually use fewer eggs, butter, etc. I also don't have to worry so much about expiration dates of mixes, inconsistency of different batches, etc.

Please, everyone, this is just my personal opinion. I am not saying that everyone should bake from scratch. It's a personal choice. I've known people who can only bake with boxes, others that can bake only from scratch, and some who use both. This is not a judgement so please don't make it into a scratch vs. box battle.

Michele

Sugarflowers Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 11

Sorry for the double post.

Michele

JanH Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 11

The WASC cake is a doctored cake mix that combines the reliability of a mix, with a more homemade taste.

Here's the expanded flavors version:

http://tinyurl.com/2cu8s4

Also if you haven't previously linked to CC acronyms, here they are:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Perhaps baking and freezing scratch cake layers, so you could just pull them out of the freezer and start decorating would be useful option.

Also, you don't even need to practice decorating on real cakes - cake dummies seem to work fine for a lot of members.

HTH

P.S. Sugarflowers, scratch or doctored/plain mix is a personal preference. Just like using a meringue based buttercream, Crisco or hi-ratio buttercream, etc.. It's all good. icon_smile.gif

jwiita Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks all for your advice. Will try the WASC icon_biggrin.gif out, or stick to scratch and freeze. I do plan on buying a dummy, but my kids are going to be so upset without my "PRACTICE CAKES".

SheepThrills Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

P.S. Sugarflowers, scratch or doctored/plain mix is a personal preference. Just like using a meringue based buttercream, Crisco or hi-ratio buttercream, etc.. It's all good. icon_smile.gif

JanH, if you will notice, Sugarflowers said just that.

JanH Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 9:33am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepThrills

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

JanH, if you will notice, Sugarflowers said just that.

SheepThrills, I was agreeing with Sugarflowers and giving other examples of areas of personal preference in baking/decorating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

I am not saying that everyone should bake from scratch. It's a personal choice.
This is not a judgement so please don't make it into a scratch vs. box battle.

SheepThrills, if you're offended that I agreed with Sugarflowers, I'm sorry, but that is JMHO.

jwiita Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 4:08pm
post #8 of 11

Can you taste the sour cream in this enhanced cake recipe? Are there any other recipes for box mix that don't have sour cream in them?

alanahodgson Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 10:59pm
post #9 of 11

You cannot taste the sour cream at all. Sour cream acts as a tenderizer and also provides moisture, but imparts no sour cream like flavor to the cake. Many people also use pudding mix and an extra egg to their box mixes. There are several enhanced recipes in the recipe section here.

JanH Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 11:01am
post #10 of 11
Sugarflowers Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 4:02pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanahodgson

You cannot taste the sour cream at all. Sour cream acts as a tenderizer and also provides moisture, but imparts no sour cream like flavor to the cake. Many people also use pudding mix and an extra egg to their box mixes. There are several enhanced recipes in the recipe section here.

I love using sour cream in scratch cakes too and I've tasted some pretty good box cakes with sour cream. It's amazing what it does for cakes. It's become one of my favorite ingredients.

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%