Cake For Civil War Reenactor

Decorating By butterflywings Updated 25 Mar 2008 , 9:10pm by butterflywings

butterflywings Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, I've been asked to make a cake for a man who is a HUGE civil war buff. He studies the history, he participates in reenactments, etc. His wife wants his birthday cake (to feed approx 40-50) to reflect his love of history and his hobby. My first thought was to use the NC flag from the time period, but she dismissed that idea b/c it was done for a unit party a year or so ago. She wants something really unique. She doesn't really care if its a sheet cake, a tiered cake or a carved cake, but she didn't have any real suggestions. I told her I needed to do some research and brainstorming and we could sit down and discuss it this weekend. But I'm a little stumped. I'm hoping that all you creative minds out there might be able to help me think of some ideas. I'd love to be able to bring her a couple (at least) on Saturday and let her pick her favorite, but even one really spectacular idea would be great!

6 replies
JAC431 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 7

How about a replica of a cannon or drum kit. Or if you want to do a sheet cake, a replica of a uniform coat and/or hat. Maybe a replica of a specific civil war monument.

Just some ideas that might get ya' thinking. icon_biggrin.gif

goddessa12 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 7

well, if you did a sheet cake maybe you could do a map and mark a couple of places on the map where important battles happened. Or you could do a sculpted cake to look like the hats the soldiers wore, one for the north and one for the south... or you could do a tiered cake with one tier for the north and another for the south and decorate it with things that the areas were known for or maybe people who fought on the respective sides.... just throwing somethings out there

marthajo1 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 7

How about recreating his hat on top of another cake.Depending on the part he plays.... Could be a lot of fun.

marthajo1 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 9:02pm
post #5 of 7

oooohh-- the bottom cake could be a drum....

marthajo1 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 7

You could even find out what unit he reenacts with and do their flag draped over the drum and the hat "laying" on top.

oh this is fun. I would love to do a reenactment.

butterflywings Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 9:10pm
post #7 of 7

OH you ladies are MAGNIFICENT! I love all of your ideas. I am especially loving the idea of using his hat. He has this beat up looking slouch hat that he wears to reenactments but that he loves so much, he's been known to wear it other times, too! I think she will like that idea, too! That beat up hat, really captures his impression and would just be so fun to make into a cake!

His birthday isn't until May, so I'll keep you posted on what we decide and how it turns out.

If anyone else has some ideas, please post them!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%