Pre-Show Nerves... Minor Rant

Decorating By krazykat_14 Updated 26 Mar 2008 , 9:28pm by yh9080

krazykat_14 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 3

Here's the deal: my cousin is having a baby shower on Saturday- my Aunt asked me to do the cake, I said I'd love to. So far, so good. She asked 3-4 weeks ago, so plenty of time. I've been thinking about this since January anyway because I ran out of other things to plan for. She asked how much it would cost, I said it would be my gift. I asked to also do this thingy where I cut out little stickers to put on the bottom of kisses and peanutbutter cups- they're just super cute and I wanted to throw that in!

I decided that I wanted to do a 2 tier cake- 6" and 9" round. I ask if she has any flavors that she really wants- chocolate. Ok, I can do chocolate. Cousin also had a white cake flavored with almond at her wedding and thought that was really great. Ok, I can do almond. So I come up with the idea of doing the 9" chocolate with cookies-n-cream mousse and the 6" in the almond but I can't figure out what kind of filling!

Next, I wanted to do a baby pink rolled butter cream with MMF decorations but cousin says she wants a fluffy icing instead of a fondant. I suck at BC. I can decorate with it, but I can't get it smooth to save my life. So now I'm a little panicked over trying to make a pretty cake with BC- and I'm starting to get annoyed that there are these requests... this is a gift! I know it's not right to get irritated at her, she doesn't know it's irritating me, and they're simple requests that good bakers would take in stride...

It's not like my other cousin who I volunteered to make her wedding cake for her- she said ok and I didn't hear another word from her until TWO DAYS BEFORE THE WEDDING!!! I made it work, almost pulled all my hair out, but did it. I didn't even get a thank you note from that one...

Any suggestions/words of wisdom/thoughts/prayers would be appreciated

2 replies
AJsGirl Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 3

I really don't know what to say, but I feel for you. I wouldn't take any more "suggestions", just remind them that this is your gift, and if they want the cake done a certain way, they can order one themselves. (Say this nicely, of course. icon_cool.gif )

Good luck with the cake, I'm sure it will turn out beautifully. thumbs_up.gif

yh9080 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 3

This cake is your gift so you get to make all of the decisions. If they want particulars, then they need to pay for it.

When I make a cake as a gift, I usually ask the theme of the party, particularly when the cake is for a child. Other than that, they have no say so.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%