Heating Cores...

Decorating By Wandootie Updated 26 Mar 2008 , 6:41pm by cakesonoccasion

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 15

Just wondering how many use the Wilton heating cores and just how useful are they? Do they actually work? I've been thinking of investing in one, but wanted some feedback from you guys before I do it.

What is the smallest size cake pan that ya'll use it with? I've been using the rise nails, but sometimes they just don't seem to work for me very well.

Any feedback will be great!

Wanda

14 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 15

I have switched from using the heating core to using the rose nail. It leaves just a tiny hole in your cake, no having to cut the core to the size of you cake layer etc. On the rose nail you just lightly grease the head top and bottom, lay it top side down in the middle of your pan and pour in your cake batter. Check to see it is still centered after adding your batter and then bake the cake as usual. When the cake has cooled enough to turn it out onto the cooling rack just carefully lift the rose nail out. I do use the wet baking strips on the sides of my pans as well. Between the strips and the rose nail I get nice level cakes every time. I use the rose nail in every cake pan size, from the 6" up to the 16".

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 15

I LOVE the heating cores and use them for 8 inch and up.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 1:15am
post #4 of 15

Never have used one - never will.
Flower nails not really needed either. I've baked up to 16" round w/o either and not had problems.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 11:21am
post #5 of 15

I have used both the heating core and the flower nails. I prefer the flower nails and use them for every cake as well, multiples for larger cakes.

The reason I do not use the heating core anymore is that I have had the cake stick inside the core before even though it was properly prepared. No problems with the flower nails.

I pour my batter into the pan, put pan grease on my flower nail(s), and stick them in.

mbh724 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbh724 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 11:31am
post #6 of 15

I use the heat core for my 10", 3" deep pan. Anything smaller, I use a flower nail.

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 11:38am
post #7 of 15

Does the flower nail really work? I suppose there's no harm in trying it, but do you actually see any difference? It's so small. I have a 16" square bottom tier of a carrot wedding cake coming up, and I was assuming I'd have to use a core. I was just wondering if anyone thought a nail would work instead.

roseyrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roseyrider Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 11:43am
post #8 of 15

Ok, so I don't mean to sound dumb, but I have no idea what a rose nail is. Been to both the hardware store and the flower shop with no luck. It may have to do with me being in South Africa. Please could someone post a picture so that I can take it with me and get one, I am dying to try it!!!!!!

vdrsolo Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 11:49am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyrider

Ok, so I don't mean to sound dumb, but I have no idea what a rose nail is. Been to both the hardware store and the flower shop with no luck. It may have to do with me being in South Africa. Please could someone post a picture so that I can take it with me and get one, I am dying to try it!!!!!!

The flower nail is what roses are made on, from the Wilton website:

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30DA27-475A-BAC0-5B9517D6CAF8BB75&fid=785F04A7-475A-BAC0-5B99539A6A26722A

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 11:54am
post #10 of 15
vdrsolo Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 11:55am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinscakes

Does the flower nail really work? I suppose there's no harm in trying it, but do you actually see any difference? It's so small. I have a 16" square bottom tier of a carrot wedding cake coming up, and I was assuming I'd have to use a core. I was just wondering if anyone thought a nail would work instead.

Yes, it works, just use multiple flower nails for that size cake. Use one in the middle, then go out about 4" from the center nail placing more nails around it.

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 11:59am
post #12 of 15

Thanks for your reply, Vdrsolo. I will give it a shot. I don't like using cores. They're so messy and nothing ever fits back together just right....but that may just be me.

vdrsolo Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 12:05pm
post #13 of 15

Just make sure you prepare the nails the same way as your pan. I use homemade pan grease.

When you first flip your cake onto the cooling grid, take a fork a lift the flower nails out of the cake before flipping back over.

gdsloane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gdsloane Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 4:54pm
post #14 of 15

I don't like the heating core either. The core just did not fit back in right.

cakesonoccasion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesonoccasion Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:41pm
post #15 of 15

I use the nails, too. I only use on 10" or larger. I just rub a little bit of shortening on the nail before placing in my pan. And I use 3 or 4 in full sheets or large rounds.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%