Wilton Tip 789 Help

Decorating By CakeMakerJen Updated 27 Mar 2008 , 2:29pm by AJsGirl

CakeMakerJen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakerJen Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 11

I got this tip and i got a bag that i thought would work with it. but it doesn't

the Wilton site says
**Tip does not work with coupler. Use with parchment or uncut bags only.
I have seen it work with a large cloth bag. Is that what i need to use this? Anyone know where i could get one.

*http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30C23A-475A-BAC0-52FFC3D4C4DEE5E5

10 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 11
krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 11

Once you figure out how to use that tip, let me know! I've got it, sounds like a great idea, but I can't get it to work- I use a freezer bag with a small slit and it still oozes icing out the top and bottom... I tried parchment but that didn't work out for me, either...

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 11

I use the Wilton 18" bag. Just drop the tip in the bag and the end pops out the other end. The only thing I don't like is that I have to wipe and wash the bag out. I use disposable bags for all my other decorating so I don't have to clean a bunch of bags.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 1:44am
post #5 of 11

I use this tip - it's the cake icer one, right? - on every cake. I have bought some 18" disposable bags that work great. I cut the pointed end off just enough to let maybe a half inch or so of this tip stick out. I can put lots of icing in the bag if I want to (and when icing a whole cake, I usually want to!), and I just start squeezing. I've never had icing come out of anywhere but the tip. I love it. What a life saver when it comes to not having to crumb coat a cake. Good luck with this, and stick with it because once you've solved it, you will probably love this tip too.

krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks tracey1970, I looked on the wilton site but they only had the featherweight bags in 18", so I went to my other favorite go-to site, www.CountryKitchenSA.com and bingo, there they are! They have packs of 10 or 100... http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=625016

So, there's your answer CakeMakerJen, either the Wilton site or Country Kitchen! Or, just go to the local hobby store, they should have an 18" bag...

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 1:32pm
post #7 of 11

You don't have to wash the bag (much) if you roll your icing into a log wrapped in plastic wrap. Twist one end closed and snip the other end open, then drop it into your decorating bag. Make up a bunch of logs before you start icing. Much easier and etr to drop a new log into the bag when it's empty. Then, all you have to wash is the tip and possibly just the tip of the bag.

gandelmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gandelmom Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 1:39pm
post #8 of 11

I love this tip, too. I bought a 16" bag to go with it but wish I had gotten an 18". You will love it once you've figured it out!
You can ice a cake in 1/2 the time.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 2:02pm
post #9 of 11

Ahhh........ here are the best disposable bags.. I wouldn't use anything else.......
http://www.keeseal.com/
I use the 21" bags for that icing tip.. works great~!

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 12:06am
post #10 of 11

I haven't seen the 18" disposable bags anywhere else except my local Bulk Barn. They sell them two for 79 cents. Since I re-use them for cake after cake, it's well worth it for me. I haven't seen any bags bigger than that around where I live.

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 2:29pm
post #11 of 11

I, too, use disposable bags cut to fit that tip. I had a hard time figuring this tip out at first, but now, I can't ice a cake without it. Love it, love it, love it!

thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%