Fallen Cake On Tv's "rich Bride, Poor Bride"

Decorating By cakedout Updated 28 Mar 2008 , 9:25am by Honeydukes

cakedout Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone here ever watch "Rich Bride, Poor Bride"? My husband and I just happened upon on Sunday nite. I was a bit leary of the whole "reality" aspect of this show to begin with, but when the cake incident happened...I was totally sure this whole thing was bogus!

The scenerio was that the baker arrives with the fondant cake-2 stacked tiers and two pillared tiers complete with red roses between tiers and on top. He then allows the wedding planner's assistant "help" him carry in this cake...and you guessed it, she slips on a wet tile floor and the cake crashes to the floor! icon_confused.gif

So the wedding planner is in shock and calls the bakery. Luckily the couple had "cake insurance" so the wedding planner calls for an emergency replacement cake- which the bakery produces in 1 hour! icon_eek.gif
This time the cake comes in another door and in separate pieces, and put together at the table.

OK, how many bakeries really have 4 extra tiers floating around that just happen to be the same flavor as the bride and groom ordered, and did they have an army of workers, each working on a separate tier in order to cover and decorate a fondant cake plus do flowers? icon_confused.gif Or was this just all a set-up and the bakery was told to make 2 cakes because the first one was going to be used in a "crash" scene?

8 replies
Honeydukes Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 9

I'm stuck on "cake insurance!" icon_confused.gif Is there such a thing?

AJsGirl Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 9

I've heard of cake insurance before. And supposedly, it is for just that purpose, that if the cake falls, is dropped, whatever, the bakery will replace the cake.

I don't know how they can produce a duplicate cake so quickly, either, unless the bride and groom picked out one of the bakery's "standard" sizes and flowers. Then I would guess the bakery just took them out of the freezer, threw the already-made flowers on there, and voila.

With TV, anything is possible! icon_lol.gif

cakequeen50 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:19am
post #4 of 9

If it was a big enough bakery that does cakes in refrigerated showcases, they always have cake on hand. Usually smaller rounds and sheet cakes. I have done many a last minute cake by cutting rounds out of sheet cakes...but the scenario sounds odd. If it really happened, why would they show it and ruin the reputation of the original baker. Sounds odd.

yeastconfection Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:33am
post #5 of 9

I saw the show and would definitely agree it was a setup (I kept rewinding and slowly forwarding so I could watch the cake hit the ground!). Anyways I wondered if it was almost like product placement because they mentioned this thing called cake insurance and then someplace called (I think) Bakery 911. Well shoot, if I purchased cake insurance I might go ahead and drop the first cake just so I didn't waste my money!

LeanneW Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:35am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJsGirl

I've heard of cake insurance before. And supposedly, it is for just that purpose, that if the cake falls, is dropped, whatever, the bakery will replace the cake. :

The only type of cake insurance I have heard of is not offered by the baker but by an insurance company. It covers things like the cake incase it is damaged or for example if your honeymoon gets cancelled b/c of a hurricane.

I don't think it means that you get a mirraculous new wedding cake in an hour, just that you get your money back. But I am not totally sure.

sweetneice Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:45am
post #7 of 9

I also saw that episode and was amazed at how calmly they looked at the cake on the floor and how non chalant the assistant was acting! That NEVER happens in real life! First of all If I'm delivering, NO ONE other than myself and/or assistant is touching that cake! LOL! We work too hard for somebody to play with our long hours, sleepless nights, and sometimes intense brides. I've just never ever seen a cake fall and people don't really care, especially a planner! LOL!

kwdonlon Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:45am
post #8 of 9

A quick google search of "wedding cake insurance" turns up insurance if a vendor doesn't show up, but nothing about a "we'll find you a cake in an hour." A search for "Bakery 911" turned up nuttin'.

Enough said. icon_eek.gif

Honeydukes Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 9:25am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeastconfection

... (I kept rewinding and slowly forwarding so I could watch the cake hit the ground!)...

Okay, you're just sick! ROTFLMAO!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%