Arrrrggggghhhhhhh - Wbh Bc Failure!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By poochynooch Updated 4 Apr 2008 , 10:23pm by Cakebelle

poochynooch Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 2:05am
post #1 of 11

I made the WBH Kaye's Buttercream recipe yesterday - followed to the letter - put overnight in fridge. I followed instructions to bring to room temperature and to beat until creamy!! Only one thing wrong -- after beating the batch all I got was a watery mess. I had a big lump of fat (butter - 6 sticks of it) floating in a bunch of watery stuff. What went wrong! Help me please icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

10 replies
Kavingate Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 11

I wish I could help you, but I tried that recipe twice, and it was a disaster both times. The house buttercream recipe is my favorite one of all time, though.

avenje Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 11

That is the only recipe I use. If you are talking about the one that has shortening and butter - it's the only one I use. I find that I get the best result when I use High Ratio Shortening and not Crisco. Also, you have to make sure to beat it on high for like 10 minutes after it's all combined. I also reduced the water from 1 cup to 3/4.

Kavingate Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 11

Yeah, Kaye's is the all-butter, and the "house" is the mix of butter and shortening. I love the house recipe, and it's never flopped on me. WBH is my favorite book ever!

SweetResults Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 11

Was it okay before you put it in the fridge? If it was I'd say you either beat it too much and it got too warm maybe? Refrige again and beat while still a bit cold. Or else maybe you did not beat it enough for the BC to form again?

Sorry I could not be more help!

lovetofrost Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 11

what brand of high ratio shortening do you prefer to Crisco? the only icing i use is wilton's so far and am not too happy with it. any other tried and true recipes?

stampinron Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 6:42pm
post #7 of 11

I have never made it before so did a search on it to investigate whate it is.

This link quotes 6 ounces, not 6 sticks of butter. Could that be the problem? Not sure how many batches you made, so this is a shot in the dark.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=580630&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

BakingGirl Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 6:46pm
post #8 of 11

Something similar has happened to me with IMBC when I have tried to rebeat it while it is still too cold. I just let it sit and get to room temp and then beat it again on low until it comes together.

vteventrider Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 9:59pm
post #9 of 11

A good Hi-ratio shortening is Sweetex. Even though you can find store shortening with Trans Fats still I find it leaves a yucky filmy layer in my mouth that I do not get with Sweetex. Most cake supply stores will carry it. As for recipes I have tried many and my two favorites are:

1 cup unsalted butter (room temp)
1 cup Sweetex
1 1/2 to 2 lbs powdered sugar
milk and flavorings to get taste and consistency right. I like to subsitute the milk for liquers like Baileys (YUMMY)

I also LOVE the Sugarshack BC recipe. It is the best consistency I have found and comes out so smooth. I don't know it off the top of my head but I am sure it is floating around here somewhere.

HTH

Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 10:12pm
post #10 of 11

I use this recipe all the time!! I have never had a dissaster yet!! When I make mine I only refrigerate the slurry mixture until it is cool then I add the butter and shortening...I have never had it clump...Maybe it is too cold!!

Cakebelle Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 10:23pm
post #11 of 11

Sometimes even at room temp. the butter remains cold, so you could put the BC with the mixing bowl and all over a double boiler for like 2min. and try to whip again. Works every time for me. Hope this helps. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%