CRISCO??? I hadn't bought any for awhile and my DS called to tell me her cake decorating friend paid over $8 for 6 lbs. I checked at Wal Mart-$4.32 and Hy Vee $4.09 for 3 lb. I was shocked, also the price of cooking oils! Maybe it's been this way for awhile, I had plenty on hand (& don't do a huge number of cakes) so I just didn't notice. How about the rest of you CC'rs?
and it's not just crisco...
flour, eggs, milk, butter....basically anything and everything that is in some way linked to grains is going up.
grains up due to cost of production (think of what it's costing to fill your car w/ gas and then consider tractors get very low mpg) and the diversion of ever increasing amounts of grains into making ethanol to blend w/ gasoline to so our cars drive cleaner (tho' it doesn't seem any cheaper!)
and of course the cost of shipping is UP UP UP!! ga$ again.
it's demoralizing to go shopping anymore.
According to my spreadsheet of supplies and suppliers.....
- Eggs have gone up 78% in 6 months.
- Imperial Margarine went up 15% in less than a month.
- 50-lb bag of flour went up $6 .... 35% .... in 3 weeks.
- Chicken went up 38% in 3 months.
- The frozen french toast stix I use went up 48%.
- Salad dressings have gone up 25-38%.