Sheet Cake Pricing

Decorating By amysue99 Updated 26 Mar 2008 , 5:27pm by kayla1505

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 14

I've been trying to get all of my pricing in line and have a question for all you pros. Do you charge the same per serving price for a 1/4 (9x13)sheet as for a 1/3 (11x15), 1/2, and full? I've read lots of different posts, but none seem to answer this exact question. My oven is German (small) and only 15" square, so to make a 1/2 sheet cake, I have to bake two 1/4 sheets, no 12x18 cake pans for me. icon_cry.gif

Sorry this is so long. Hope some of you can give me some guidance! icon_smile.gif

13 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 14

I'd start making 14" squares more often instead of rectangular sheet cakes to get more servings icon_smile.gif

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 14

9x13 $35
11x15 $45
12x18 $65

this is for bc iced sheet cakes, obviously more for add-ons like choc bc, rolled bc, filling.....

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 14

There is not an easy answer for pricing cakes here especially since different parts of the country charge differently and before the crash we had loads and loads of threads on this subject. Also, I do not turn my oven on for that small and cheap cakes!

There are programs out there that takes your cost of the recipe ingredients, plus box and board plus the energy of turning on your oven and price out the cake per recipe. You might want to start by figuring out that cost, then the rule of thumb is to times that cost by 3 for your labor.

I would also see the types of cake your competition has in your area and what they charge so your price accordingly.

After averaging in all that you can get a feel for the cost per slice depending on your design.

I have a minimum and I'm also in a metro area and charge anywhere from $3.50 per slice for plan 'ol BC without any fancy dancy decoration to $5 for fondant. Then I add additional costs for gumpaste bouquets, extension, lace points etc. If it is a carved cake then I charge for the cake not the slice and have preworked out my designs and the timing and cost of ingredients and charge accordingly. That is wedding and sheet. Both are equal in my eyes.

And remember, that you make custom cakes and not cheap cakes and depending upon your talent level you can charge more for customizing.

HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:33pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptop57

There is not an easy answer for pricing cakes here especially since different parts of the country charge differently and before the crash we had loads and loads of threads on this subject. Also, I do not turn my oven on for that small and cheap cakes!

Agree. And the smallest sheet I do is 11x15.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:38pm
post #6 of 14

Agree. And the smallest sheet I do is 11x15.[/quote]

me too.

amysue99 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptop57

There are programs out there that takes your cost of the recipe ingredients, plus box and board plus the energy of turning on your oven and price out the cake per recipe. You might want to start by figuring out that cost, then the rule of thumb is to times that cost by 3 for your labor.

I would also see the types of cake your competition has in your area and what they charge so your price accordingly.

After averaging in all that you can get a feel for the cost per slice depending on your design.

I have a minimum and I'm also in a metro area and charge anywhere from $3.50 per slice for plan 'ol BC without any fancy dancy decoration to $5 for fondant. Then I add additional costs for gumpaste bouquets, extension, lace points etc.
Quote:
Quote:

If it is a carved cake then I charge for the cake not the slice and have preworked out my designs and the timing and cost of ingredients and charge accordingly.

That is wedding and sheet. Both are equal in my eyes.

And remember, that you make custom cakes and not cheap cakes and depending upon your talent level you can charge more for customizing.

HTH

amysue99 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:58am
post #8 of 14

Oops! I tried to use the quote function and didn't quite do it right.

Carving cakes is what got me started on the whole price re-evaluation. They are particularly tricky, I think.

As for competition, we are a small military community on the German/Dutch border. There are only a handful of decorators and then commissary (flavorless, unreliable, and cheap). A family needing a birthday cake doesn't have many options.

Here is what I'm doing. Please tell me if it's ethical:
- set price for sheet cakes (basic decoration)
- per slice price for round cakes
- custom price for carved cakes

Again, i appreciate all of the advice!

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 7:35am
post #9 of 14

how many serving can you get from an 11x15 sheet cake??

amysue99 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 7:40am
post #10 of 14

I use Indydebi's chart, so 35 2"x2" slices

kayla1505 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 7:47am
post #11 of 14

thank you amysue. where can i see indydebi's chart?

kayla1505 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 9:48am
post #13 of 14

thank u soo much : )

kayla1505 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:27pm
post #14 of 14

tippyad are your prices for 1 layer sheet cakes or can it also be for 2 layer sheet cakes??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%