Omg! I'm Being Forced To Try Something New, Help!

Decorating By Anna31 Updated 24 Mar 2008 , 9:16pm by Anna31

Anna31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anna31 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 9

I have an order for 25 6" round centerpiece cakes for a wedding on June 7th. Someone else is doing the big main cake, I am just doing the little ones. The Bride is coming over May 5th so we can have a taste testing. She wants white cakes with butter cream and strawberry filling. I have NEVER done a filling other than frosting. Is it okay to just use preserves or something??? If so, do I need to do anything special with the cake so it won't seep into the cake? Do I need to refrigerate it? This has to be something simple. There are 25 of them. Can anyone please help me??? icon_confused.gificon_redface.gif

Thank you! Anna

8 replies
plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 9

In this case...I would make my life easier and get the ready made sleeve fillings... REMEMBER to make your dam Very Strong.

Good Luck!
Pat

Anna31 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 9

Where do I get those??? How much do they cost?? And how much should I charge per 6" cake? Sounds like a great idea by the way. icon_smile.gif

Anna

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 9

yes can use preserves or jam -- avoid jelly, it's too runny

and do put a good strong dam around the edge.

jam/preserves can be left out and will not seep into cake.

if you don't think the jam/preserves are thick enough, you can cook them on the stove in a saucepan to thicken them up even more -- use low heat, stir lots and allow to cool most of way before putting into cake.

-----

another option....

blend the jam/preserves into your BC for a lighter flavor and a pretty pink color.

Anna31 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks Doug!!!! Do I need to put a thin layer of butter cream on both layers on the inside to keep it from soaking in? I like the mixing it with the frosting idea! Any suggestions how much more per cake this would cost me to make? I am not sure how much more to charge her. They are small cakes. icon_smile.gif I'm just doing my third wedding the end of May, this one will be my fourth. I'm learning new things all the time and REALLY appreciate the advice from all you more experienced Cakers! Thank you so much!!!!!!!

Anna

Doug Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 9

yes, you can "butter" the cakes w/ very thin layer of frosting before putting in the jam/preserves -- but why? the flavor of the jam/preserve will permeate into the cake which is YUM in my book....and jam/preserve will not add that much moisture to the cake.

the bigger concern is it leaking out the side -- which is why you need a dam (wall) of icing around the edge to keep it inside. put the wall about 1/2in in from edge and then put jam/preserve inside in layer that is thinner than height of wall. put on top layer and push down gently. allow to sit several hours or better, over night so gravity can do it's thing and cause cake to settle. next day you should be able to crumb coat and finish ice w/out having the dreaded waistline bulge or leaks between the layers.

as for the tubes of filling - most any good cake store on source on line is: http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_IN0401_A_Fruit+Pie+%2F+Pastry+Fillings
you can google for others.

cost -- well that would be your standard per serving fee times 12 plus maybe an extra amount if you have to order the filling sleeves or even a PITA fee for so many little cake - which will be lots more work than one big cake...

and don't forget the cost of delivery -- can you really get them all there in just ONE trip? may have to charge extra here too.

Anna31 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 9:00pm
post #7 of 9

Wow Doug, lots of info there I had not thought of. Did I understand correctly that you don't frost the cakes till the next day? Won't they dry out? I always frost as soon as they are cool. I am going print this out so I can study everything you said! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

Doug Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 9:04pm
post #8 of 9

here's an article on CC that explains even more about avoiding the bulge:
http://www.cakecentral.com/article5-Solution-For-Cake-Bulging-Between-Layers.html

and yes, let sit overnight -- I stash mine in the fridge. you can crumb coat (very thin layer of icing to lock in the crumbs) before letting sit. Just don't do the final finish icing until cake has had time to settle and you've fixed any bulge that appeared.

Anna31 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 9:16pm
post #9 of 9

Wonderful! Thank you so much!!!!!

Anna icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%