Cat In The Hat Cupcakes?

Decorating By Melan Updated 23 Mar 2013 , 9:56pm by RevaCakes

Melan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melan Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 10

Does anyone have an idea for cupcakes that would be fairly simple to make(will be short on time) that would fit in with Cat in the Hat? The Cat in the Hat will be visiting my son's school and I'd like to send along some cupcakes for them as a special treat. I thought about coloring half the batter red and layering it in the cupcake liner so when they bite into them they will be red/white striped like the Cat's hat. I just don't want them to turn pink inside! Any ideas? I'll take any!

9 replies
CreamPuffGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreamPuffGal Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 10

Hi Melan,

When I read your first question, I immediately pictured the red & white stripe hat on the cupcakes (miniature version, of course), but I actually like your idea of making the batter striped, too! Since I'm only a beginner, I can't tell you how to keep them from running together.

Here is a link to the characters and more info on the Cat in the Hat book, and maybe that will spark more ideas:

http://www.seussville.com/catinthehat/index.html

Hope that helps & good luck!

CPG

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 10

what about piping red & blue fish (1 fish, 2 fish, red fish, blue fish)? the fish are fairly simple to pipe, # 3 for a nice fat body, and tail, head, fin, eyes - done

OR frost them red, then write "Thing 1" on some and "Thing 2" on others

OR maybe just pipe a cats nose & whiskers on white cupcakes

I like the idea of striping the batter. if you spoon in the white, then gently spoon on red, then gently spoon white again (or vice versa) and don't stir then in the cups, the batter shouldn't blend

momade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momade Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 10

My son's HS was putting on the performance of Suessical. Each parent was asked to bring in something for the bake sale to be sold during intermission. I wanted to make something extra special since my son was going to be the Cat-in-the-hat. I decided to go with cupcakes and toppers. I made the cat's hat out of royal icing and placed 1 hat on each cupcake.

I first started with a semi thick circle base of red (for the rim of the hat). The next layer was just a tad smaller of white on top of the red. I made sure to fill in the middle of each color as I went around 3 -4 times (for height). I then switched back to red - then white then finished the hat off with a final row a red. I then let them sit overnight to dry. The next day I just place them on a mixture of some red & some white cupcakes. They were so easy to make and were a HUGH hit!

I know this is most likely to late of a suggestion to help with your cupcakes, but I though I'd post for those needed it in the future. icon_biggrin.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 5:10am
post #5 of 10

I was thinking a cupcake cake in the shape of the hat then you just stripe the red/white for the hat. One thing to decorate and it looks cute and still easy to serve.

CarriM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarriM Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 2:55am
post #6 of 10

For layering the batter, I think you could use a piping bag to pipe the colored layers in the liners.

YanYan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YanYan Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 5:26am
post #7 of 10

creampuffgirl is right looking at the sites can really give you more inspiration.

There was dr. seuss cake challenge

if you take a gander it should help.

momade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momade Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 11:45am
post #8 of 10

YanYan,

Thank you so much for sharing the Dr. Seuss challenge. Wow! Incredible cakes. I can only dream of doing cakes like that. It was great to watch. Thanks again.

YanYan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YanYan Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:23am
post #9 of 10

glad you liked it icon_biggrin.gif

RevaCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RevaCakes Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 9:56pm
post #10 of 10

Since Dr. Seuss' birthday was a couple of weeks ago, I was asked to make some Cat in the Hat cupcakes. I didn't have a whole lot of time to spend on them either but I made these little fondant toppers that were super easy and they came out really good! :) http://www.caketheday.com/2013/03/tutorial-cat-in-hat-cupcakes.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%