Buttercream That Taste Great???

Baking By lelajoyce Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 1:50pm by kristina67

lelajoyce Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 18

Does anyone have a good tasting buttercream receipe or trick....

I would rather not use butter for the reason of having to refrigerate but dont like the taste otherwise....

thanks

17 replies
tiptop57 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 18

Try adding Creme Bouquet instead of vanilla.

tonedna Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 18

I like to put almond in mine...is yummy..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

jenlg Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 18

I like the Buttercream Dream recipe that I found on here.

1 1/3 cup crisco
1/2 cup milk
3 tbsp. vanilla
2lb 10x sugar
3 tbsp. dream whip

I forget who posted this but I really like it.

heycupcake Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 18

Try this one:

1 c. shortening
1 lb. powdered sugar
1/4 c. milk
1 tsp almond extract (pure)

its yummy

lelajoyce Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 18

Thanks

Does the Buttercream drean crust well?

tiggy2 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 7:56pm
post #7 of 18

Indidebi's recipe is good and you can make it with 1/2 butter/1/2 crisco and it crusts very well.

amysue99 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 7:58pm
post #8 of 18

I use Toba Garrett's and LOVE it!

1 lb butter
1 c shortening
2 T meringue powder
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. almond
dash creme bouquet (my addition)
3 lb powdered sugar
dash salt
8 T warm water or milk

jenlg Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 8:02pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lelajoyce

Thanks

Does the Buttercream drean crust well?

I add 1 tbsp. of meringue powder to this.....crusts very well.

superstar Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 8:20pm
post #10 of 18

You don't have to refrigerate BC made with butter, I never do. I love Creme Bouquet too TipTop, it gives a great flavor. I also use a lot of other flavors.

ranbel Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 8:38pm
post #11 of 18

Do you have to refrig when using milk.. I would like to try the Dream whip with milk, but see no references to having to refrig...

Sounds yummy icon_smile.gif

jenlg Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 9:19pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranbel

Do you have to refrig when using milk.. I would like to try the Dream whip with milk, but see no references to having to refrig...

Sounds yummy icon_smile.gif

This can be refrigerated if you want to. I cover it with a damp paper towel and then put a lid on it. Somewhere I read that the sugar "balances" out the milk issue so it doesn't have to be put in the fridge.

kakeladi Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 9:33pm
post #13 of 18

BCs w/butter &/or milk do NOT have to be refrigereated. Sugar is a preservative there by eliminating the need to refrigerate. It will keep for a couple of weeks at room temp as long as it is not HOT. There is nothing wrong w/frig'ing but it is not needed. If you do choose to frig it, let it sit at room temp for about 30-60 minutes before re-whipping to use.

tiptop57 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 9:33pm
post #14 of 18

Hmm superstar, I usually make IMBC and use liquor for the only flavoring, but the OP wanted butter free. Bummer, cuz in my book IMBC with any liquor is the VERY BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!! And everyone brags about how good my cakes taste and they adore my frosting.

superstar Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 11:26pm
post #15 of 18

I agree TipTop & your cakes are also very beautiful, but we have to do what the customer wants. I love SMBC, but there are a few others that I have really got to love.

kristina67 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:50am
post #16 of 18

kakeladi- I love your post on to fridge or not to fridge. What about a bc that has cream cheese, butter and shortening. Would this work under fondant and as a filling for a day or two? I wish I knew the "rules" better as to what can be used with out refrigeration and what can.
Kristina

JanH Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:33am
post #17 of 18

Cream cheese is not shelf stable.

However, adding sufficient powdered sugar (which is hygroscopic or moisture absorbing) to cream cheese will control the "water activity" so that it is shelf stable for a time.

The problem is that not all recipes contain the minimum required amount of powdered sugar (for controlling water activity). (And "guessing" if your recipe does could have serious ramifications...)

A similar example would be most b/c's which contain butter and/or milk or cream (in small amounts) and lots of powdered sugar.

The powdered sugar controls the water activity in the butter and/or milk or cream in the mixture.

Butter and margarine are both 80% fat and 20% water, while shortening is 100% fat, so the large amounts of powdered sugar in most American b/c recipes easily controls the water activity.

Cream cheese must be at least 33% fat and not more than 55% water - so the amount of powdered sugar necessary to control water activity is much greater:

http://homecooking.about.com/l.....21602a.htm

(Low fat cream cheese would then require even more powdered sugar for stabilization.)

HTH

kristina67 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:50pm
post #18 of 18

You are amazing. Thanks for sharing all your knowledge with me. For now I guess I will stick with my ol' stand by BC. When I get more time (wedding is Sat) I will play around with Toba's and Indy? BC recipes. Thanks again.
Kristina

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%