Few Questions/structural Support For Mickey Mouse Cake

Decorating By Bellatheball Updated 24 Mar 2008 , 7:43pm by Bellatheball

Bellatheball Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone,

I'm making a Mickey Mouse cake for my daughter's third birthday this weekend. I saw the idea on a google search for images and it led me to this site to figure out how to do it.

I've made the head and ears from RCTs and have covered each with two layers of fondant. Though I spent a ton of time smoothing these out, they don't look perfectly smooth to me. Are there any tricks to this? Also, I used some powdered sugar to roll out the fondant. As a result, spots of the black fondant look grey. I assume brushing some water over those spots and letting it dry might help?

Finally, the head and ears are currently on a 1/2 inch dowel. The whole thing probably weighs 5-7 lbs. icon_eek.gif I planned to put the dowel through Mickey's body and down into the cake but I don't know if that would be enough support. I've though about making a cake board from MDF wood and drilling a hole to support the dowel. Is that the best option?

Thanks so much. This place is amazing even though it makes me question my paltry cake decorating skills. LOL!

2 replies
Doug Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 3

to-late-now adivce:
1) icing the RKT w/ BC before adding the fondant helps to get smoother surface
2) ears out of just plain gumpaste or fondant -- lighter, thinner. can embed wire in them to make easy to attach.
still time advice:

grey areas -- use vodka or everclear or other high alcohol content liquor to brush the area -- better yet spray w/ airbrush to be sure don't have any "waterspots" from brushing.

yes, better to attach dowel to mdf or plywood base and have it rise up through cake. this diagram will help:

Bellatheball Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 3

Doug, thanks! That's exactly how I pictured it but my husband (the one with the power tools) will appreciate your diagram. Thanks. I didn't realize gum paste would be much lighter. I've never worked with it before but I have some for tonight for the hand and slide. Live and learn. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%