Cake Batter Experiment!

Decorating By all4cake Updated 5 Feb 2011 , 9:04pm by Unisteph

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 19

Last week, I was making a cake and instead of doing what I normally do and baking extra layers, I portioned it out as I usually do and wrapped and froze the pans. This was on Wednesday. The recipe was one that called for the egg whites to be beaten and folded into the rest of the batter. I took them out today, and baked them. At the same temperature but added 5 minutes onto the baking time. They rose perfectly! As soon as they are cool enough, I will ice and slice them and take a couple of shots to post as well as the flavor and texture of the finished cake.

If it works without compromising the finished item, I'll have a whole new outlook on fresh baked. I know they sell batters frozen. But this is with my own recipes(or recipes I use) and no preservatives or added stabilizers...nah mean?

18 replies
pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 19

Please keep us posted. I would love to know how it comes out. There are times I would love to be able to freeze some cake batter.

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 19

Can't wait to see and read how this comes out. Look forward to your updated post!

all4cake Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 1:54am
post #4 of 19

Results....

NO ADVERSE EFFECTS AT ALL!!!

Taste, texture, moistness....everything....was the same.

I thought for sure that this one with folded in whipped egg whites would've done something negative. I was pleasantly surprised at the outcome.
LL
LL
LL

just_desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_desserts Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:54am
post #5 of 19

Did you thaw them before baking?

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:30am
post #6 of 19

Wow! Were these box mixes or scratch cakes? Did you freeze them in the pan for any reason or just so they would be ready to cook?

This is great for when you have some extra time so you can get ready much faster when a cake is due.

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:36am
post #7 of 19

yes share...

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:45am
post #8 of 19

Wow...great idea! Gotta try it out!

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 11:23am
post #9 of 19

Wow!! Thanks for the update with pictures. Very interesting.

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 1:09pm
post #10 of 19

I freeze my cupcakes in their paper cups and in the pan all the time.

I also mix cake batter up ahead of time and put into my empty fondant buckets all the time.

Especially for those days when I have to do a lot of cakes or need more cake batter than fits into the mixer.

( one of the items I ran out of money renovating and sacrificed was a 20 Q mixer so I use 2 , 5Q mixers. lol)

I will leave cake batter in fridge for a few days before I use it all the time with no problems

all4cake Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:32pm
post #11 of 19

That is good to know TheButterWench! What's the longest you've successfully frozen portioned cupcake batter?

I have successfully frozen portion muffin batter, bread doughs, cookie doughs. This was the first time trying cake batter.

This was scratch cake batter.

Normally, I would bake up extras and freeze the extra layers. Those go for R&D...or advertisement.

I froze the batter to see how it would bake up.

Although it may have been mixed last week, I would still be able to say, "It was baked fresh today"..or "last night". and be able to focus on fillings, icings...DECORATING....RELAXING

I did NOT thaw them first. They went directly into the oven at the same temperature I bake that cake . It took an additional 5 minutes bake time.

Several reasons I chose to freeze in the pan.

To make it oven ready
If it worked like that, I could consider purchasing either additional pans or paperboard pans(wishful thinking there to be that busy...but would still like to know if that time ever comes what would work).

I was going to bake the layers and decided this was the perfect time for a test.

I wouldn't want to freeze it in blobs...then, I would have to allow for thawing and spreading and that may have further messed with the rising agent(this was my thinking...I am by no means a scholar on baking dos and don'ts...)....I think freezing blobs(lack of a better word) wouldn't be so bad for muffins or cupcakes or even mini cakes....but for larger layers, a well distributed mass seems best to me.

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 11:23pm
post #12 of 19

Thanks for doing the experiment for us! I will use this soon since I have a lot of cakes to do in the next couple of weeks.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 12:03am
post #13 of 19

Did your recipe have any baking soda or baking powder in it or was the cake leavened solely by the beaten egg whites?

all4cake Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 12:54am
post #14 of 19

baking soda mixed with dry ingredients. No egg yolks.

whites whipped separately and folded into batter

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 4:46pm
post #15 of 19

I don't bake from scratch because my scratch recipes are all large batch and I ran out of money before I could get my 20/30 Q mixer.

But I have refrigerated cake mix batter for almost a week and frozen it for just as long.

Like come in mix up what I need and put the extra in the larger cupcake pans cover with plastic untill I have enough cupcakes to fill my pan ( which holds 24 , 2 ounce cupcakes) and I have 4 of them that I bake at a time.

So my cupcakes will actually sit in their cups, in the pan, frozen for about a week give or take a day

so far so good.

Scorpioforu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scorpioforu Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 1:26pm
post #16 of 19

Wow, what great information! Thank you all for sharing!

Becki

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 2:34pm
post #17 of 19

Has anyone done this with other types of cake batter? (sponge, pound, etc.)

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 2:38pm
post #18 of 19

Has anyone frozen cake mix batter??

Unisteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unisteph Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 9:04pm
post #19 of 19

This may be a stupid question but here goes....Did you grease and flour the pans as you normally would before pouring and freezing that batter? Just wondering how that would hold up frozen or if you used another method to prevent the cake from sticking to the pan while baking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%