Need Your Help Fast!!!! Its For Tonight!

Decorating By aprilcake Updated 24 Mar 2008 , 8:38pm by cakequeen50

aprilcake Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 8

ok...need your help! I am making my final wilton class cake tonight and i don't like the border they do so I am going to try and ask my teacher if I can do something else...I would like to do a wrapped long fondant roll border and just a plane simple fondant roll wrapped around the base of the cake...how do I make it that long and without cracks in it...i hope i am making sense. I am talking about the long fondant think round string that people wrap around the base of the cake for borders many times....do you need a certain piece of equipment to do so or is there a technique to do it by hand? thanks!

April :0)

7 replies
Bijoudelanuit Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 8

I think most people use a clay extruder to do this. Ask at the store tonight and they'll be able to show it to you icon_smile.gif

aprilcake Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 8

so i wont be able to do it without a clay extruder? oh man!

KoryAK Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 8

You can without, its just a lot easier with. You just roll out long sausages (or two or three if you are twisting them) and wrap it around the base.

tracey1970 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 8

I rolled out a "rope" of pink fondant for my fondant course final cake. It's in my photos. It came out a little thicker than I'd hoped, but I just used coloured fondant. I rolled it and rolled it until it got very long. What was deceiving, though, was how long I had to roll out the rope before it would fit around the cake. I kept thinking it was long enough, and then I'd carefully pick it up (afraid it would fall aprt!) only to find it didn't go all the way around the cake yet. Eventually, it did, but I did find that I left it thicker than I'd wanted because I was so worried it would be too thin to pick up and wrap around the cake. It can be done though.

wendym Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 8

I find if you add about one third MMf or flower paste to the fondant it makes it easier to roll and tougher. Less likely to crack or fall apart.

step0nmi Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 6:14pm
post #7 of 8

ok...I don't know if everyone can find this...but, I use a piece of pressed wood...it's like 1/8 of an inch thick and it's about 14inches long and 3-4 inches wide. What I do is start my sausage of fondant in my hands...then I place this board on top of that real lightly....and what I do is with a little bit of pressure I move the board back and forth over the fondant to roll it kind of making sure the board sways back and forth like a boat and touches the counter top on each side...you have to do this kind of fast, lightly pressing...you are using the board as kind of an extension of your hands...I hope this makes sense! This is MY trick and have used it for a lot of things that I needed to use to roll fondant into those long sausages. PM me if you'd like some more clarification!icon_biggrin.gif

cakequeen50 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 8:38pm
post #8 of 8

OMG!! Steph, that is such a GREAT idea! Makes so much sense! Uniform snakes!
I always roll by hand and hope that the snake is uniform, feeling by hand, but wow...a new tool in the shop!. I guess light balsa wood would work well?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%