Flower Arranging

Decorating By Cakey1865 Updated 25 Mar 2008 , 10:04pm by Cakey1865

Cakey1865 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey1865 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 9

Ok Hello ladies, I am new to this ( like you couldn't guess...lol). Anyways I consider myself a cake decorator, maybe not as good as some on here but I dont think im bad...ok onto my question...I can do just about any flower out of fondant gumpaste or icing, but I dont know how to arrange them. Im not a florist...how do I find out how to arrange them?? Does anyone else have a problem with this?

8 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 5:14pm
post #2 of 9

I suggest you get Lesley Herbert's Complete Book of Sugar Flowers. At the end of the book she shows different ways to arrange them.
HTH
LL

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 9

The book in the previous post looks like a good investment (for you and me both). If you are short on time, you may try what I ofen do. If you're like me, you are in the craft stores often. If you will go to their floral section, most of the time there will be pre-made arrangements. I use them as a guide a lot.

bellatrixothersis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellatrixothersis Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 9

Floral books are the best for arrangements. I hit the library first..

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:50pm
post #5 of 9

Besides what has alread been suggested may I suggest you take a floral arranging class? Many collages have them. Michael's used to also but I hear they are not offering classes any moreicon_sad.gif

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 9

I have the same problem. You need only see my basketweave cake from Wilton Course 2, and it's pretty obvious. Making the flowers is the easy part! Arranging them is a whol other issue. I don't have an eye for it either. Wish I did. That book above looks great, and I am thinking about taking a flower arranging class.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 11:24pm
post #7 of 9

I had the same issue with flowers when I first got started. I'd place the flowers, then fill in with BC leaves and it would just look flat and blah to me. A friend helped me out.

I put a big blob of green icing on the cake; I pipe flowing stems from the blob. THEN i place the flowers on this mound of green and cascade them down the stems/vines. What this helped with was it ....
(1) got rid of the white icing that was showing between the flowers. Any gaps between flowers, all you could see was the green icing,making it look like the flowers were on a mound of greenery.
(2) The elevated mound of icing gave it lift, depth and height ... no more flat look!
(3) You don't have to make as many flowers to get a full look when most of the fullness is just a mound of icing!
(4) Icing lovers LUV cutting into that mound of icing! thumbs_up.gif

I taught a young girl decoratoring when she signed up for it as her 4-H project. I showed her this 'mound of icing' trick. She got nothing but blue ribbons on her cakes, and one judge said she liked the "3-D" look of her flowers (code for "not flat"!) icon_biggrin.gif

Cakey1865 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 10:04pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you guys so much for al the help.
Jodi

Cakey1865 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 10:04pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you guys so much for al the help.
Jodi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%