Multiple Photo Posting

Decorating By luddroth Updated 24 Mar 2008 , 7:00pm by ShirleyW

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 23

I haven't wanted to remind people individually, but maybe it's worth posting a reminder that when you post photos, you agree to the terms, which include a request to post only one image of any particular cake. Recently, we've seen quite a few postings of 3 or 4 images of the same cake. I assume that knocks other cakes out of the "recently added" category faster, which means it's easy to miss some really wonderful cakes. They go by too fast anyway on a busy day....

22 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 23

Nice reminder!

Prudence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prudence Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 23

I agree. Today I saw the same cake, posted with 3 different pictures.

Thanks for posting this reminder!! It is appreciated! thumbs_up.gif

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 23

Thanks for reminding!

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 23

Thank you for reminding. I agree.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 23

I do wish they would change that to two views because often I want to see the full cake view, but am also interested in the fine details of the top flowers or modeled figurine. I agree four and sometimes more photos of the same cake from different angles may be a bit much. I am as guilty of two views as anyone but I have learned to make a collage, so think that's how I will do it. Then again I think Heath mentioned there is unlimited room for photos, so maybe we should leave it up to he and Jackie. Perhaps there is a way of locking or preventing uploads of more than the one?

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 5:13pm
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

I do wish they would change that to two views because often I want to see the full cake view, but am also interested in the fine details of the top flowers or modeled figurine. I agree four and sometimes more photos of the same cake from different angles may be a bit much. I am as guilty of two views as anyone but I have learned to make a collage, so think that's how I will do it. Then again I think Heath mentioned there is unlimited room for photos, so maybe we should leave it up to he and Jackie. Perhaps there is a way of locking or preventing uploads of more than the one?

you are correct Shirley! Some of us Gallery Members were having a really hard time with photos last week because of the crash and someone brought this up! Heath chimed in and said it is a possibility in the near future to have it so you can only upload so many per day.

The issue with people uploading too many photos is also a problem for the gallery members because when you see someone with one screen name that just uploaded 10 photos then they have to choose ONE to comment on to get them OUT of the uncommented section....this leaves the rest for other members to have to comment on but they could be in there for a while.

Uploading too many photos in one day causes multiple problems for all the members. Everyone should try to not upload so many per day, keep the angles to a minimum , AND also condense your multiple decorated cookies into ONE PHOTO! I see so many time someone decorated cookies for a holiday and instead of putting their BEST one of each cookie into a picture they take a picture of 4 up close and upload about 6 pictures of the different cookies! Also, not nice for Gallery Supporters that have to comment on uncommented photos!

Ok...I am done ranting. icon_biggrin.gif

just_desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_desserts Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 5:21pm
post #8 of 23

Could the moderators delete multiple pictures? If not, I think limiting the number per day would be great.

I like seeing the whole cake & then seeing a close-up of a special item but not 4 views of the same cake.

Sun11598 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sun11598 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 5:52pm
post #9 of 23

I thought it was ok to post different angles? Inparticular - the block cake in my photos. Each side was completely different than the other 3.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 5:58pm
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun11598

I thought it was ok to post different angles? Inparticular - the block cake in my photos. Each side was completely different than the other 3.

oh yes! if is a completely different angle and shows something totally different...some people do not follow this rule.

Yes, if you are a Gallery Support Member and you see the same photo then there is button where you can click that says "report photo". Then they will take care of it.

luddroth Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 6:07pm
post #11 of 23

The "terms of use" that you (theoretically) review before you post specifically says that you can post a second view if it's something that is important and not visible in the first shot. I really appreciate the collages when I see them, but have no idea how to do it....

sasporella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sasporella Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 6:14pm
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

I agree that a lot of the same picture is unnessesary (spelling ?) and unfair. I think Shirley has the right idea with collages. Maybe if anyone who knows how to do these and doesn't mind could write some kind of walkthrough to show how to do them. I love seeing them but have no idea how to do them and need i say i am pretty rubbish on a computer.

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 6:15pm
post #13 of 23

Thanks for bringing the issue up! There was a thread about it some time ago that created an agitated debate with statements to the effect of âThis is my account and these are my cakes and I can post as many pics as I want!â to âThe rule is one photo per cake, ânuf said!â

I personally dislike it when a picture of a marginal cake is posted four times, in four âdifferentâ angles that show the SAME exact work, (there are only so many buttercream roses one needs to seeâ¦), effectively pushing away a really interesting cake that many could learn from⦠On the other hand, an elaborate design with a lot of gum paste work and different sides deserves a closeup or another viewâ¦

If everyone started ignoring the âone-photoâ rule and uploading all the pics they proudly took of their cake, then the gallery would be overwhelmed by the amount of files that it needs to support, the site would become slower, and it would be virtually impossible for anyone to sift through so many imagesâ¦

A collage is a good way to go about it⦠Another is exercising good judgment and following the CC rulesâ¦

luddroth Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 6:21pm
post #14 of 23

So, tell me (I'm fairly new to cc), is it horrible manners to send a private message to somebody who puts up 4 or 5 images of the same thing reminding them of the rule? I started to do that recently when I saw some multiples push really interesting cakes off the screen, then chickened out.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 6:23pm
post #15 of 23

I also wish I knew how to do collages, I am also guilty of posting two pics if it is a different view. I also love to see a close up or a different view, I would say maximum 2 photo's would be great.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 6:28pm
post #16 of 23

LOL! Funny. I think when people post 12 different pictures of their cake it is because it is their "baby." To them each picture probably brings out different highlights.

I have rarely posted more than one photo of my cake. I may spend 30 minutes deciding which is my best picture, but in the end I think the members generally dont see the subtle lighting differences that I do! LOL!

It really doesnt bother me for someone to post more than one picture, but I personally wouldnt do it unless there was something really different about the photos.

murf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
murf Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 6:31pm
post #17 of 23

Hi All,
I'm in agreement with only posting more than one picture if it shows completely different angles/ideas.
For those who are interested in collages, the way that I do it is through Flikr. For those not familiar with this, it is a photo sharing website that allows you to post your photos for your friends and family to see. If you set up an account at www.flikr.com that will allow you to upload the various pictures of your cake. Then I use a program/website called mosaic maker - it is at http://bighugelabs.com/flikr/mosaic.php this will give you the option to create various collages using your flikr photos. I'm sure that you can probably do it without a Flikr account but I haven't tried yet! It's very easy to do and there is lots of help if you get stuck. Hope that helps!
Jenny

sasporella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sasporella Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 6:35pm
post #18 of 23

merissa lol. You got me laughing now. I do exactly the samebut (only due to me been rubbish with a camera aswell as a computer lol). I take loads and loads of pictures and then like you it takes me ages to sift through them all to choose which one is the best.

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 6:39pm
post #19 of 23

On the subject of collages, Googleâs Picasa is free and easy to use â http://picasa.google.com/
It installs in minutes, then it scans and organizes ALL of your photos in folders by date (may take a while if you have 10 years and 500GB worth of them, lolâ¦) At that point, it has a very user-friendly interface and you can choose from different templates for the collage... Here are detailed instructions: http://picasa.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=19539&topic=9426

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 6:47pm
post #20 of 23

I agree with you all about the too many photos of one cake issue.

I did my collage right in ms word. I changed the page type to postcard, then inserted whichever pictures I wanted on it. Then, when I pressed 'save as' I changed the document type to a 'jpeg'. It worked great!

luddroth Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 6:47pm
post #21 of 23

Merissa, I'm laughing, too. I spend more time on a photograph of a cake than I do on the kids or the dogs! And the cake stands still! But I'm so intimidated by the CC talent that I'm afraid to post rather than wanting to post multiples....

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 6:50pm
post #22 of 23

A week ago, soon after the crash, people seemed to panic and post multiples... just in case one didn't make it, I'm guessing... Anyway, it did cause so many cakes to slip right by on the preview page! It was a shame as there were so many worthy of the longer look one gets when it's in preview mode.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 7:00pm
post #23 of 23

If you have the PAINT program on your computer it is fairly easy to make a collage. Just remember to resize one of the photos smaller so it will fit within the larger picture without covering up any of the detail. I made the inserted image a bit too small, but it is just an example.

COLLAGE
Go to your picture files and click "EDIT" on the main picture you want to use. Then to add the smaller picture inside that one, or to insert an image file into a current picture.

In the toolbox, click "SELECT" the rectangle image in the tool box.
Then drag the pointer to define an area for the inserted picture file. Say the right bottom corner for instance.
On the "EDIT" menu, click "PASTE FROM"
Locate and double click the picture you want to insert.
Drag the image to position it correctly, then click outside the selection and you are finished. Remember to then save that collage to your picture files.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%