Edible Image And Piping Gel Is A No-No!

Decorating By twinsmake5 Updated 13 Apr 2008 , 3:17pm by wgoat5

twinsmake5 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 10

I made an Easter cake using an edible image of a stained glass window. To acheive the shiny look of a window, I brushed piping gel over the image. Did my borders, finished fast and easy. (I even lightly spritzed the back of the sugar sheet with water before applying it to the buttercream cake top.) 24 hours later we cut the cake - the sugar sheet is strong enough to pull off the cake without even ripping it. It did not meld at all. I guess the piping gel is to blame?

9 replies
jenncowin Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 10

I've never had an edible image that disolved into the cake. It's always been like cutting through a piece of paper on the cake. I don't think that the piping gel would cause that, if anything, it would soften it more.

twinsmake5 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 10

This is my 3rd edible image. The first didn't meld much, the 2nd which I spritzed with water melded more and became very, very soft. Nice. This one was completely the worst. I used a butter knife to slice it and it pulled the image down into the cake rather than cutting through it. Ridiculous!

Do you know how long sugar sheets can be stored? Perhaps mine are too old? I've had them about 4 months and keep them sealed in a ziplock bag, in a drawer, away from light. ???

TheButterWench Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 9:02am
post #4 of 10

piping gel tends to dry hard, your best bet for a stained glass window would've been a little lt corn syrup with a hint of water in it to thin it down enough to brush on with a pastry brush.

and it's MELT not meld!!! lol

I got a kick out of that. lol

TheButterWench Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 9:02am
post #5 of 10

piping gel tends to dry hard, your best bet for a stained glass window would've been a little lt corn syrup with a hint of water in it to thin it down enough to brush on with a pastry brush.

and it's MELT not meld!!! lol

I got a kick out of that. lol

meegz Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 6:55am
post #6 of 10

I think she meant meld as in 'blend together'.....I think????

TheButterWench Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:20am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by meegz

I think she meant meld as in 'blend together'.....I think????

I was giggling because all I could think about was the Vulcan Mind Meld from old Star Trek. lol

twinsmake5 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:39pm
post #8 of 10

Ok, ha ha, had to pull out my reading specks and the dictionary. Meld means (according to this little dictionary) "to show or announce for a score in a card game." Hmmm. I know I've seen and heard "meld" at times when researching sugar sheets. Made sense to me. Weld, meld. Similar idea save the blow torch. My mind makes crazy connections at times.

Anybody for a game of hearts while our sugar sheets, uh, do their thing?

Also - thanks butterwench for the corn syrup idea!

fiddlesticks Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:53pm
post #9 of 10

I havent had my EI printer very long but I have been doing the cakes with them the night before and by the time they get cut the next day you cant even tell you are cutting through them ! They are very soft and the knife goes right throught them perfectly! After I ice my cake I smooth it the best I can ( the top part ) and then put my icing sheet on, You cant let the top crust at all!! I have never had to spray or mist with water yet ! Its like slicing through fresh soft buttercream ! HTH!

wgoat5 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:17pm
post #10 of 10

I would bet the thickness of the piping gel was the culprit (Butterwench I almost wrote pulpit LOL anyways).. when you cut through the cake the piping gel caused the EI to sink into your cake with the pressure of the knife...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%