Tiramisu Cake Recipe

Baking By rachel0918

rachel0918 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachel0918 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:35pm
post #1 of 1

I posted some questions on here last week about a tiramisu cake that I was attemping. Thanks for all of your suggestions. Here is what I came up with for Easter dessert and it was a huge hit. My in laws said that a bakery couldn't even beat this!

Tiramisu Cake

Cake
1 box yellow cake mix, vegetable oil, water and eggs (according to package directions)

Filling
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons light rum or 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
1 cup whipping (heavy) cream
3/4 cup strong coffee
8 ladyfingers
Cocoa (for sifting)

Icing
2 cups solid vegetable shortening
2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
2 tablespoons meringue powder
4 tablespoons plus one teaspoon water (for stiff consistency, add 4 additional tablespoons for thin consistency)
2 lbs confectioners sugar
1 ½ cups cocoa

Make cake according to package directions. Let cool completely and slice in half (if using an eight inch round pan).

While the cake is baking, make the icing. Beat in each ingredient at a time, starting with the vegetable shortening. Add additional water if icing appears too stiff. Set icing aside

Make the instant coffee using ¾ cup water and adding 3 heaping teaspoons full of instant coffee. (can adjust to desired strength but you really want the coffee to be strong for this)

Beat cream cheese and powdered sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Beat in rum on low speed; set aside.

Beat whipping cream in chilled small bowl on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into cream cheese mixture.

Place bottom layer of cake on a cake plate. Pipe chocolate icing around the edge. Using a knife, make small slits in the cake. Using a pastry brush, brush some of the coffee onto the cake. Place about 1/3 of the cream cheese mixture on top of the cake (within the icing). Pipe more chocolate icing around the edge (topping the first layer)

Slice ladyfingers in half and arrange on top of the icing mixture, overlapping as necessary but staying within the icing ridge. Using a spoon, place the coffee on top of the ladyfingers, completely covering them. (reserve a little bit of coffee)

Pipe more icing around the cakeâs edge (on top of the first two layers). You may need to repeat this one more time to account for the height of the filling. Add additional cream cheese mixture (you will have some leftover). Sift cocoa over the mixture.

For the top layer, as you did the bottom layer, make small slits on the underside and brush with coffee. Cover the filling with the top layer of cake (coffee-side down)

Ice cake and decorate as desired. Chill until ready to serve.

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%