Cracking, Dry, Tearing Mmf

Decorating By Tallycake Updated 25 Mar 2008 , 2:59pm by Tallycake

Tallycake Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 8

Hi ya'll...

I'm very new to CC and have really loved listening and reading and generally being very inspired by everyone...and I have so much to learn...

I need help with what to do about cracking, dry, tearing fondant. I've made several batchs of MMF (using the instructions here) and they've always turned out great...nice and soft, stretchy and pliable...

BUT not this time icon_confused.gif ...I think I must have added too much powered sugar, because it is awful! It won't even roll out very well...won't let me get it into a ball , the cracks are all over and when I finally kinda got it into a better place and onto the cake--it just tore terribly as I tried to smooth it...(I did try to fix it by kneading in a tiny bit more water and then I tried to warm it a little in the microwave) but neither worked...

Do I just toss and start over?...seems like such a waste...but I'm stuck!!!

Thanks for your help in advance!

7 replies
pinkbox Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 8

No... just put a good amount of shortening on your hands and work it back to the texture you need.

pinkbox Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 8

It will help bring the moisture back in.

tonedna Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:29pm
post #4 of 8

Maybe too much sugar.. Sometimes crisco will help soften it...I just put it in my hands like handcream and work my fondant

jenncowin Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 8

A bit more water may help, but I would just work in shortening. Stay with it, it'll come back.

tyty Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:42pm
post #6 of 8

I had a batch that did that, I made 3 batches back to back and had one that was dry and falling apart. I had to put a lot of shortening in it to make it the right texture. Then I let it sit for 24 hrs and it was fine.

deanwithana Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 8

add a little bit of shortening back into a time!!

Tallycake Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks ya'll for all the help...I haven't had a chance to try it the shortening yet...but will tonight.

Thanks for the ideas...I really didn't want that all to be wasted!

Quote by @%username% on %date%