First Wedding Cake..nervous

Decorating By Chefperl Updated 24 Mar 2008 , 1:25pm by tonedna

Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:15pm
post #1 of 3

Ok, so I am meeting with a bride for a tasting and I am so nervous. I am sure i always under price, so I am going to bite the bullet and get cake boss.
But I need help with servings and sizes. She wants a 3 tier square cake, each tier with a different flavor and filling. She wants a simple design ribbon around the bottom and a few flowers (she said wither real or gumpaste) she only needs the cake for 65 guests. It seems like i need to use a dummy. Any ideas on sizes would help. But I have no idea how to start my pricing. I think that a cake with 3 different flavors should be priced more than a cake with all one flavor, no?
thanks for the help.

2 replies
hope22023 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hope22023 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:44pm
post #2 of 3

Congrats on the first wedding cake. I hope I can help some. For 65 people (if they are saving the top tier for their anniversary) you can use a 6-9-12, according to Earlenes serving chart. I use this chart for all of my cakes and find it to be pretty accurate (the slices are larger than those on the wilton chart.. and people usually dont mind a little more cake).

I dont charge more for different flavors of cake.. UNLESS they want one of my specialty flavors (for instance my carrot cake has fresh coconut, pineapple and walnuts. That gets a little costly.)

Oue pricing should be influenced by where you live. I have visited several stores in the 2 cities near where I live. Prices range from $1.50-5/serving. I have chosen to charge $2.50/serving for standard decorations.

If you are using gumpaste flowers, that should be an additional charge. Gumpaste is expensive and time consuming. If you are using fresh flowers, find out if you are responsible for purchasing them (an additional charge) or if the florist is providing them. Of course, then you have to worry about their food safety, etc. I prefer silk flowers if the bride is adamant about flowers.

HTH

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:25pm
post #3 of 3

Depending on how new you are and the quality of your work and your area.. MY prices start at $4.50 a serving. And thats for a simple cake. Flowers are extra no matter if they are fresh or gumpaste.
Edna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%