Why Mmf?

Decorating By srs7874 Updated 24 Mar 2008 , 5:53pm by cerobs

srs7874 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srs7874 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:41am
post #1 of 12

I am fairly new to cake decorating and was wondering if someone could tell me the benefits of using MMF over Satin Ice. Can anyone share a good recipe?

Thanks!

11 replies
aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:49am
post #2 of 12

I like the taste and cost factor of MMF. MMF is significantly cheaper than Satin Ice by the time I add the shipping to the price. I haven't found a single store in Columbus who sells it. I use Addendum to Rhonda's MMF. It works great for me. Never had a recipe not work. Plus I can stir the color into the liquid part of the MMF without having to knead large batches.

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:54am
post #3 of 12

It is the cost factor. But I find it not as easy to work with as Satin Ice. Plus I like the convience of not having to make it. But the MMF does tast good and every one likes it also. Matter of choice.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:56am
post #4 of 12

I like MMF. I like the feel and taste of it. It's easy to work with and I get great results every time.

This is the recipe that I use http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm
and I flavor it with Adams powdered flavors or Lorann oil.

If you have a Kitchenaid mixer, making MMF is really easy.

I have never tried Satin Ice. I would have to order it from somewhere, and one of the things I like best about MMF is that the ingredients come from any grocery store, which means I can go get them somewhere in the middle of the night if I need to.

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:59am
post #5 of 12

Are you looking to cover the cakes w/ MMF/Satin Ice? I personally don't like the flavor of MMF. Instead I make rolled buttercream. It works just like MMF when it comes to covering a cake and it tastes so much better...in my opinion. But if you're looking to buy instead of make it yourself I've heard rave reviews about Satin Ice.

srs7874 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srs7874 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:59am
post #6 of 12

Thanks so much for the great info!

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 11:41am
post #7 of 12

For me, there is no advantage to using mmf.

Satin Ice does cost more initially than mmf, but when you factor in the value of your time, I think Satin Ice actually comes out ahead in costs. The cost of the Satin Ice is factored into what I charge for the cake, so it really doesn't cost me anymore to use it than anything else.

It takes seconds to order to order a bucket of Satin Ice. For the amount of fondant I'd need to cover a large, tiered cake, it would take me hours to get enough mmf made...never mind the pia factor!

akslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akslice Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:13pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tippyad

Are you looking to cover the cakes w/ MMF/Satin Ice? I personally don't like the flavor of MMF. Instead I make rolled buttercream. It works just like MMF when it comes to covering a cake and it tastes so much better...in my opinion. But if you're looking to buy instead of make it yourself I've heard rave reviews about Satin Ice.

What is rolled buttercream?

I've noticed that a lot of people make figures out of MMF - is it easier to use than gumpaste? I have trouble with gumpaste flattening out when it sits to dry.

tippyad Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 3:27pm
post #9 of 12

The recipe below is close to my recipe. In addition to the listed ingredients I add 1/4 cup nondairy coffee creamer. Try it and let me know if you like it! thumbs_up.gif

www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1603-0-Rolled-Buttercream-Icing-Recipe.html

akslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akslice Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 5:13pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks! I have never heard of this, but I can't wait to try it!! Is it easy to work with? Do you still need to ice the cake before adding this? Can you make decorations with it like fondant?

tippyad Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 5:43pm
post #11 of 12

Before applying rbc to cake be sure to apply a crumb coat or glaze first. I don't usually make decorations w/ it. I prefer to us BC. It's just as easy as fondant, but I think it tastes much better...at least compared to the fondant recipes I've made.

cerobs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cerobs Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 5:53pm
post #12 of 12

I made mmf this weekend and it was great . plus i use strawberry mmf. The customer love it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%