Boiled Icing-What Did I Do Wrong?

Decorating By wendydou Updated 24 Mar 2008 , 10:36pm by msthang1224

wendydou Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:28am
post #1 of 5

I made some boiled icing for the first time the other day.. I needed a tiny bit of green frosting for my easterbasket cake and didn't want to make a huge batch of buttercream.. so I thought I'd try it out.. Followed directions, was really pillowy and pretty.. I put it on my cake and finished.. then my friend called and asked if I could throw a cake together for her mom's bday.. ok, I have a ton of frosting here already, why not?? so I did.. the next day.. I had to rewhip the frosting because it settled alot and the color separated.. seemed like it fixed up nice.. I frosted the cake (it kept pulling away from the cake , but I got it done) .. I put some fondant roses on top that I had hanging around and she picked up her cake..

then I ate MY cake icon_eek.gif the frosting was chewy, sticky, and pulled off all in one piece. it was like eating a very sticky marshmallow.. I was horrified! I called my friend and told her to scrape all the frosting off - don't eat it!

any idea on what I did wrong of is that what it's supposed to be like???

4 replies
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 5

hmmm someone correct me if i'm wrong but i thought boiled icing should be consumed immediately. maybe that was the problem? i'm not sure. sorry that happened.

aswartzw Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 5

I've never tried it before but due to lack of posts I tried to google something. I did find out that it has a shelf life of 8-12 hours and after that it becomes rubbery. I figure this is probably your problem. Sorry it happened to you!

wendydou Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks.. that has to be it because it was fine right after I made it. It was sweet, but more fluffy and light than what it was when I ate it.

live and learn right??

msthang1224 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 5

Can someone please tell me what boiled icing is??

Quote by @%username% on %date%